Holiday Destination Suggestions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Lisa, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Lisa

Lisa Member

I am off on holiday with friends in just under two weeks. How exciting! :D

I was wondering whether people have any suggestions of places we should try to include in our trip or things we should try to do/see?

The very vague plan at the moment is to get the Eurostar to Paris then make our way in a circuit, via trains, probably through the following places:

- Paris
    - Venice

Any suggestions to help us plan our currently very unorganised trip would be much appreciated! :p
  2. Rodney

Rodney Member

Aw...just hop on the first available jumbo jet and make your way to Australia. The land of the 'long week-end' :D

3. eanto

eanto Member

Just watched a DVD about holiday makers in Brazil, Paradise Lost? Wouldn't recommend that:eek: Try and get to Venice though. V chic:cool:
  4. Ginge

Ginge Member

Where can I go on Holiday?

I'm looking to go on Holiday with a few mates in early September and have no idea where to go!

I want it to be quite an active holiday with a beach nearby. Quite hot too.

Any ideas???
  5. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Zurich is nice enough but a bit dull. I haven't been to Geneva but I've heard similar comment made - the lake is nice though. Best bit of Switzerland in my opinion is Lake Lucerne (Vierwaldstattersee); about 45 mins on the train from Zurich to Lucerne then you can get one of the regular lake steamers across to the other side (might be Vitznau) where there's a cable car up the mountain for top notch views. Be warned, though - expensive.

Vienna is ace, although if you want to see the Danube and the Prater Park be ready for a long walk from the centre. The big imperial palace (can't remember it's name) is good and the Opera House do daily tours so you can stand where Mahler conducted! If you're sad like me......;)
    I'm told (by my mum, who's a travel agent and has been there) that Salzburg is very twee and schmaltzy so if you don't like that sort of thing you might want to give it a miss?

I'd also recommend a detour north to the Low Countries, Belgium is dead easy to get to from Paris and Bruges/Ghent are both top. Antwerp is also nice.

Being a big Francophile I'd probably be tempted to spend the whole two weeks in France, but that's probably just me. I can highly recommend Rouen (esp. the Cathedral), Reims and Chartres (ditto), Versailles and any of the major Loire chateaux like Chenonceaux or Chambord are worth the detour.

Hope this helps - I'm envious!
  6. dizzy068

dizzy068 Member

I don't know about the train service to these places but would recommend;

Orleans - south of Paris
    Slovenia - all of it! totally beautiful the best destination in Europe!
  7. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

While in Switzerland I would recommend a trip on the train to Interlaken. From there you can get to Murren, Grindelwald and Wengen - lovely places. Especially the train up the mountain from Lauterbrunnen up to Wengen and onto Kleine Sheidegg up as far as the Jungfraujoch - the highest train station in Europe and an awesome view especially of the Jungfrau, Monch and Eiger mountains. There is also the revolving restaurant on the Schilthorn which was in the James Bond film.

There is always Zermatt and the Matterhorn to see too - and with the knowledge that it being Switzerland the public transport will be clean and on time!!

If you are going in two weeks (maybe less now) you should see some snow!!!
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  8. Lisa

Lisa Member

Well, the plans are coming together now - luckily, seeing as we go in exactly a weeks time from now!

We're now going to: Paris, Geneva (briefly), Brig to Chur on the glacier express, Salzburg (briefly), Vienna, Bratislava by boat (briefly), Venice, Verona, Milan, Bern, Dijon (briefly) and Lille!

So does anyone have any gossip on those places? :p

I really hope there is some snow! That will be very exciting and fun! It sounds like you're a bit of a Switzerland enthusiast! :) Do you know much about the places we are going in Switzerland? (I just wish Switzerland wasn't so expensive!)

...Slovenia and Orleans sound tempting too...just wish there was more time...and money! :-(
  9. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

10. Bobobear

Bobobear New Member

Start in Mablethorpe, its a lovely place.
  11. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

A skier by any chance?? :rolleyes: :biggrin:
  12. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

How did you guess?!:biggrin:
  13. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

'Cos i wanna go there too! :tongue: Only more around the febuary time ;)

Of course going to Austria skiing on saturday will have to do instead :frown: :tongue: :biggrin:

14. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

Yeah, Wengen is great place for skiing as there is quite a lot of choice but the night life isn't that good!! I went at half term (Feb) and it is great although when I went a few years ago the runs down to the village from Kleine Scheidegg through Wengenalp etc were quite bear in places.

Enjoy Austria...
  15. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

My geog teacher went over easter and said it was the best snow he's had in years!

I went to the Dolomites in Feb and again snow was dodgy in places but is looking great for next week! In the minus's today and snowing can't be bad!

16. I like Butlins Minehead!

(Sad I know but it keeps the f*****ing kids quiet!)