Holiday breaks in the UK

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by BigHorn, Jul 4, 2010.

1. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Simple question, If you had a few days to spend in the uk where would you go. Where are the hidden gems in the UK, perfect for a long weekend.
    Have you had a nice city break or discovered an idyllic country retreat ? Please share.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    UK
    UK Simple question
    Holiday breaks
    nice city break
    idyllic country retreat
  3. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

If you have youngish children Paultons Park in Hampshire is a fun day as is Longdown farm.

4. Fedman

Fedman Member

:)Tewkesbury is a medieval town famed for its timber framed buildings. An ancient settlement situated at the meeting of the rivers Avon and Severn, a delight for those seeking "Olde England". Tewkesbury is renowned as having one of the best medieval townscapes in England with its fine half- timbered buildings, overhanging upper storeys and elaborately carved doorways.

The Town Band rehearses on Wednesday and Sunday nights. I have a cottage right in town which is an excellent base to explore the three counties of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire and Worcestershire. Visit www.tewkesburyholidaycottage.co.uk
    www.tewkesburytownband.co.uk

5. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I've never done a full weekend break where brass banding wasn't at least one of the days...

...but as far as day-trips go I've enjoyed the following
    Salisbury/Stonehenge
    Cardiff (Castle/Millennium Stadium/etc...)
    Nottingham/Sherwood Forest
    Dover (Castle/Cliffs/Fish & Chips)
    Cornwall (Eden Project/ Cream Tea)
    Durham (Cathedral/Castle/Market)
    Manchester (Cathedral/ Arndale/ Forsyth Music/ Rusholme curry)
    London always has plenty to do as well

6. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

I love going to Whitby for a day or so.

7. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Ah, but if we tell everyone they won't be ''hidden gems'' anymore. :wink:

8. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

Airth Castle Hotel. - Stay in a 4 poster bed in a real 14th century castle. The Beautiful city of Stirling, and Edinburgh are both within easy striking distance.

9. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

Having spent all the family holidays I've been on in Great Britain, I've discovered many great places to go to:

Isle of Wight is beautiful with loads to do! Rylestone Gardens has many bands performing there during the summer. Some lovely hotels and self service places - (http://www.upperchinecottages.co.uk/ are excellent). There are red squirrels too and great beaches!

The Channel Islands (not in the UK, but in Great Britain) are beautiful too. There are some great walks you can do and great history to discover like the occupation during WW2. The Merton Hotel in Jersey is nice (especially the food! :)) and Howard Davis Park (very close by to the hotel) usually has a few bands performing during the summer and is lovely with all the flowers in the summer. "Walks with Webb" is a good way to explore Jersey.

One of the nicest things I found about The Channel Islands and the Isle of Wight was how peaceful they were :)

There are some lovey arboritums in Hampshire - Hillers etc that are worth visiting

Some other good places to explore: Devon, the Lake District, New Forest, Center Parks (there are about 5 or so in the UK and they're lovely), Cornwall, South Downs....

10. Robhibberd29

Robhibberd29 Active Member

Anywhere in the Derbyshire Dales or Peak District is as good as anywhere in the UK :) Been to lots of places and the holiday I had in Birchover near Matlock (less than an hour away) was as good as any.....off to Devon in a couple of weeks (depping while I'm there) which is also lovely as is Cornwall

11. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

beautiful Shropshire, not just because i live here, but because of the amazing countryside.

It's also home to one of the few world heritage sites.

Ironbridge gorge, is home to the birthplace of the industrial age

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    UK
    UK Simple question
    Holiday breaks
    nice city break
    idyllic country retreat
  13. tubbytuba

tubbytuba Member

Living in Cornwall im a bit spoilt,i just love St Ives, its just a great area to live in!!!