History

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Jack, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Jack

Jack Member

Hi all

At college we have to do something called an Extended Project. This involves writing a 5000 words essay about a subject of your own choice as long as it is not too closely related to a course you are studying.

I have decided to do mine on brass bands. I am going to write about contests, concerts, famous players, famous conductors, famous composers, background, how the bands were formed, the development of bands and pretty much everything I can think of to write about. So I was wondering if anyone had some useful websites, useful information, useful books that I will be able to get from a library.

Thanks in advance, Jack

2. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

You don't have to stray at all from tMP ... try the linked The Internet Bandsman's Everything Within to look at areas that may interest you!

http://www.ibew.co.uk/

4. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Adjusted:

Wikipedia is a useful though unreliable resource.

5. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

I don't know Dave, we've found out some hilarious stuff on it...... although maybe that adds weight to your point? ;)

6. jrshimmon

jrshimmon Member

I used to write essays perpetually when I was doing my History degree. I would recomend if you have not been set a question by your tutors, pick a question or theme for yourself.

You've given about 6 themes and that gives you less than 1000 words for each. I would take a couple of them that you can link together with a common theme. Otherwise you'll find everything being so light on information and probably leave you feeling like you have not said enough.

The method I used to use is. Say what you're going to say. Say it. Then say what you have said.

Best of Luck! I wish I was given the chance to write 5000 word on Bands when I was at college!

7. jrshimmon

jrshimmon Member

With regards to resources. I know Roy Newsome has written a history of the movement sometime ago and a chap called Holz has written extensively on brass bands. Wiki can help. If you're doing band histories then the Band website themselves can sometimes have a history page that explains their foundation and great acheivements. 4barsrest have also got a lot of information in there article archive which re-trace history of the movement. They're quite and interesting read those too.

8. MoominDave

The thing is... I've occasionally been known to edit bits of Wikipedia... It's not guaranteed to be done by experts...

But if you want to look up kings who were so inbred that they tried to mate with themselves, then it's hard to beat it...

9. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Or brass bands who are so inbred they try to mate with themselves.........;)

10. MoominDave

Isn't that all of them?

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    famous players
    famous conductors
    famous composers
    useful books
    useful websites
  12. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

No some of them look outside their own bandhall walls to entice in new recruits......

13. MoominDave

14. AEHOWGATE

AEHOWGATE Member

'bands so inbred they try to mate with themselves' clap trap! Usually bands that require no outside help are well run with good junior bands and training programmes.

15. MoominDave

Think it was by way of being a humorous witticism of the amusing variety...

16. AEHOWGATE

AEHOWGATE Member

yes, i re read the page and realised. Moderators only give a five min window to edit your post (why)? Thanks. :eek:)

17. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

There's a couple of preview resources for Trevor Herbert's The British Brass Band & Roy Newsome's The Modern Brass Band available on Google books. Even if they are not complete, they do contain lots of interesting information for those who haven't bought copies.

18. Kjata

Kjata Member

try going on the black dyke band website and go on the gala concert that was broadcasted on you tube. Dr Nick did a lecture about the history of bands that you can see, i thought it was great to hear and it also has some great music as well!! :)

19. Highams

Highams Member

20. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member