Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by tom_leather, Nov 29, 2007.

1. tom_leather

tom_leather New Member

I'm currently studying Social History at uni, and today a lecturer briefly mentioned brass bands being formed by factory owners etc., as a pastime for workers. I was after a bit more than a passing reference, so had a chat to him at the end, and sent him an email later, to which he replied that "it's marvellous to know the brass band movement can still generate such interest". :p

So, anyway, he recommended a list of works on the brass band movement, particularly Russell: Popular Music in England, 1840-1914.

Anyone else got any tips for interesting historical articles either explicitly of banding, or placing it in more of a social context?
    Or is it just me who's a geek?! :lol: :oops:
  2. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Not at all, mate. Try Trevor Herbert's book 'The History of Brass Bands'. It's a bit of a heavy read, but fascinating.
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- even the freebie covering the 19th Century by Trevor Herbert is good reading ...

:cool: :tup http://fds.oup.com/www.oup.co.uk/pdf/0-19-816698-2.pdf
  4. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Also there are a couple of books by Arthur Taylor, a former Granada Band of the Year producer. One's called Brass Bands, the other is Labour and Love: An Oral History of the Brass Band Movement - I think. Plus Elgar Howarth wrote a book called What A Performance! - again, I think. As far as I know all of these are out of print but your local library (or Uni library) should be able to get hold of them.
  5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

7. tom_leather

tom_leather New Member

Excellent, some superb suggestions, thanks very much! :tup