History of Brass Band Music Volumes 5 & 6

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by James Yelland, Mar 23, 2006.

1. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

If there's anyone on here from Grimethorpe, any chance of giving us an indication of what will be on the 5th 'History of Brass Band Music' CD? I believe Aagard-Nilsen's Aubade is one - what else? And is this the last in the series, or will there be more?
  2. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I'm not from Grimethorpe, and I can't help you with the first part of your question, however I'm fairly certain I recall reading somewhere (when Vol.1 came out) that it was to be a six-part series. (?)
  3. zak

zak Member

There are going to be 6 disks in total and to be honest I cant remember off hand what is going to be on disk 5 although I recall that Aubade is to be one of the pieces.

Will try to find out the others and let you know if I can.

4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Mar 23, 2006
  5. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

Whatever is going on it, we have it planned for a British Open 2006 launch at this moment in time.
  6. James Yelland

This all sounds jolly exciting. And as the series has been chronological, does this mean that volume 6 will feature even more contemporary music? I hope so.

Good to hear that they may be revisiting Grimethorpe Aria, although I would dearly love to hear Birtwistle's other piece for band. In fact, the Grimethorpe library must be bulging with scores from the Howarth era which never get an airing... let's hear them!
  7. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Although I've not been able to lay my hands on the original article, I've a vague recollection that volume VI was going to pick up on works that were somewhat off the beaten track, but not specifically more contemporary pieces.
  8. WorldofBrass.com

Actually, the series has not been chronological;
    The Golden Era
    The Salvation Army Connection
    The Early Years
    The Modern Era

The final volume deals with Classical Arrangements, which has been shown on the introductory page of the booklet of each release so far.
  9. James Yelland

Oh, I see. It rather gives the game away that I haven't bought any of these CDs so far, doesn't it? I'm afraid that none of the CDs so far have excited me very much. Volume 4 could have been a 'must buy', but my pennies are limited and I have recordings of all the pieces on that CD already.
  10. James Yelland

Any more news of this long-awaited item, please?
  11. WorldofBrass.com

Currently our schedule reads as follows;
    Volume 5 (Classical Arrangements) to be released at the English Nationals in July.
    Volume 6 (New Adventures) to be released at the Championship Section Nationals in October.
  12. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

I assume it wasn't released at the EN's. Can you update Carl?
  13. WorldofBrass.com

You're right.
    Volume Five - Classical Arrangements is now planned for launch at the British Open, September 2007.

I have seen the track list for Volume Six but won't post until I'm sure of the release date.
  14. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

Are there any plans for a History of Brass Band Music box set once all six have been released?
  15. WorldofBrass.com

16. James Yelland

Well, here I am again, to ask about the volume of contemporary music in the Grimethorpe series. I see I've been asking this question on and off since March 2006, but this time I've actually seen an advert for the disc. It's on the back page of this month's BBW, saying that it will be released at - the 2008 Nationals! Well, they have come and gone, and still no sign of the recording. I suppose it does actually exist??!!
  17. WorldofBrass.com

That's when it was planned to be launched but there were some issues with the booklet that could not be overcome in time. My understanding is that it's almost ready to be signed off and sent for production.
  18. James Yelland

Hurrah, it's arrived! No Aubade unfortunately, but a studio recording of the Bourgeois Concerto No. 1 and remastered versions of the Grimethorpe Special LP, minus Fireworks. It's been a long wait!
  19. Puritan

Puritan Member

Anyone know why Fireworks has been left off from this CD ?
  20. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

I'd suspect that - given Jim's comments about the other material off Grimethorpe Special just being remasters - it sounds very dated, particularly in terms of it's narration....