History of Bandstands

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Paul Rabbitts, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Paul Rabbitts

Paul Rabbitts New Member

I am new to the mouthpiece.com but as an ex Cornet / Tenor Horn player, know the world quite well. I am currently writing a book on the history of bandstands and am building up a database of known existing bandstands as well as those lost over recent years. What I am after is names of bandstands, where they are and what is known about them, past or present. Also images of any you have would be really appreciated.
    Can you email them to me on prabbitts@hotmail.co.uk

Many thanks

Paul Rabbitts
    112 Bates Avenue
    Darlington
    Co. Durham
    DL3 0JE

2. RobBari

RobBari Member

Go to www.tredegar.co.uk for photos of the traditional bandstand in Bedwellty park, Tredegar

3. Are you looking strictly in the U.K. or world wide? One of the most impressive is in St. Louis Missouri, U.S.A.

4. Janet Watkins

Janet Watkins Member

You will be spoilt for choice of research material on this website!

5. Paul Rabbitts

Paul Rabbitts New Member

cheers for these. Am only looking at UK ones so far....

6. Paul Rabbitts

Paul Rabbitts New Member

Got this one, its an amazing site....

7. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

I notice that all images on this site are "copyright of www.tredgar.co.uk unless otherwise stated".

8. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

Buxton (Derbyshire) has a bandstand in the pavillion gardens which we regularly play. It was rebuilt in 1997 in memory of Don Redfern who was a past player/conductor of Burbage. Bands play 2-4 every Sunday from april through to September
    http://www.derbyarboretum.co.uk/aslinbandstand.htm
    hope u find this useful

9. nevillebros

nevillebros New Member

10. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Cornet
    Tenor Horn
    @hotmail.co.uk
    History of Bandstands
    names of bandstands
  12. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

13. By the way, when you are going to be in this area, let me know. I will try to make connections. We play in St. Louis at least twice a year.

14. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

I was in canada for the Nova Scotia tattoo and spotted this amazing bandstand in a lovely park in Halifax. It really should be utilised during the Tattoo Festival. I don't know of its history or seen it used though.

http://www.halifaxpublicgardens.ca/

15. Paul Rabbitts

Paul Rabbitts New Member

Archive footage required

Hi

Ive been contacted by Objective Productions who are doing a documentary on BBC4 with Dan Cruikshank on the History of Parks and this will include bandstands:clap:. What they are looking for is some archive film footage of a brass band playing on a bandstand - if anyone has some footage, can they email me on prabbitts@hotmail.co.uk Its required pretty urgently:biggrin: