Historical Brass Band Audio recordings

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Sound Classics 4 you, Apr 1, 2011.

1. What do you think about the re-recording of historical Brass Band and Salvation Army Music Recordings?

Sometimes it seems that there is not a real interest in this great tradition. Many Brass Band enthusiasts have a lot of old recordings in their collection, and don’t have listened to this collection for a long time. Very often the arguments are absolute logical, as they don’t like to listen to the many ‘clicks and cracks’ on such records. Modern CD’s don’t have such annoying noises. But if you listen to analogue classics you will hear the wonderful warm sound of an analogue production. Usually this sounds better than every digital production of today. By the way, this is not only our personal opinion; it’s the position of many renowned sound engineers around the world, amongst them, engineers from such great companies like EMI, Universal and Sony Music as well as some very exclusive record labels.

This was the reason why we established a company with only one target; restore analogue audio material on highest level and transfer this into the digital world. All in all it was important to keep the warm sound of the original analogue record. A very difficult job, especially if you take into consideration, that most of the original tapes are no longer available. This means a re-recording must be transferred from the Original LP’s or EP’s which are frequently not in the best condition.

We re-recorded a lot of outstanding classical productions with great success. Mostly we do this for the music industry and not for our own label productions. Since November 2010 we established a music download shop under the label “Sound Classics 4 you”. At the moment we present in this shop re-recordings from the Salvation Army in North America* and Canada*. If you click on this link you can read comments of our current customers.
    * re-recordings with permission and under copyright control of the Salvation Army Eastern Territory & the Canada & Bermuda Territory

We would very much be interested to receive your input and your findings on such re-recordings:

Would you be interested in historical audio recordings in a new format?

a lively discussion to this thread would be highly appreciated, as we think it’s worthy to keep the great Brass Band and Salvation Army Tradition in a new format.

Thanks in advance for your valuable comments and feedbacks.

Sound Classics 4 you
  2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

It would be nice if you had audio samples on your site to demonstrate the high quality claimed.
  3. We have to every record sound samples of approx. 35 sec. you can find it here.
  4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Thanks ... really clear and warm! Reverb induced or as a result of background noise removal?
  5. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

Have listened to several samples -- it's a very worthwhile service to bands people. No clicks or plops but neither is the sound quite like the original recordings. They are very bright but more particularly I have reservations about the amount of artificial reverb that's been added. In some cases it may help, possibly for the NYSB Laude 100 LP (1987) for which I was responsible.

Many NYSB recordings are made in the Centennial Memorial Temple in NY City, not an ideal recording space (too many hard surfaces) but within the budget. I was inclined not to use artificial reverb (post production) if the equipment used was not top of the line, producing a natural sounding fade-out. My suggestion would be to ease off a bit on the reverb, using it more judiciously.
  6. kevinshort

kevinshort New Member

7. ;) First of all it was not our intention to discuss in this thread anythink about our actual re-recordings in our shop. We would like to discuss, what people thinking about re-recordings of historical audio material in general.
    :clap:Nevertheless, many thanks for the suggestions. Music interpretation is every time a very subjective issue.
    We start our restoration service some years ago with the "one to one" process, which means only the removal of unwanted noises. Many of our customer were absolute unsatisfied with the result. Comments like “This is the sound from yesterday, and has nothing to do with modern audio technology” was very often the feedback, but if you are thinking that these comments comes from hobby musicians, you are wrong, we received these feedbacks from professionals of very notable Studios. After this very hard "startup" phase we take the decision to use some sound optimisation tools including the “Convolution reverb” one of the best solutions for every kind of audio mixes, as this tool simulates room reverbs very natural. Finally this was the successful concept of our re-recording activities, which has been confirmed in many long-term contracts of notable Studios and Broadcasting companies.
    There are some other reasons to use a little reverberation in historical re-recordings, but this is not an issue to discuss it in this forum, as it is to technical.

:confused: We were a little bit shocked about this comment. OK, Music for free is every time the best solution, but is it fair if we talk about Intellectual rights of artists?
    What would happen if your Band have produced a record, and you have spent time and money for this production, and then you will find all these tracks as free download or as free “music box” on the Internet. We are sure, nobody in your Band would be very happy with this situation. Mostly such records will be produced to earn money for the Band, and it’s the same with the music of the Salvation Army.
    We know this site from Australia very well, and we think it’s a clear infringement of applicable copyright. All the music on this site is under copyright control of the Salvation Army, and from our point of view every download or streaming must be paid to the owner of the music, in this case the Salvation Army.
    As we are only the shop service provider for the Salvation Army in New York and Canada we work exactly in this way. Most of the shop revenue support the worldwide work of the Army.
  8. fsteers

fsteers Member

Well, unless the SA files a complaint with the relevant AUS authorities, I don't see that you have any standing to complain, other than the fact that it potentially takes money out of YOUR pocket.
  9. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

I believe there is a significant difference between the two sites. The one that is specific to this thread is offering for sale, re-engineered recordings of a high quality, from a previous era. The Australian site is a listen only site that does not provide download facility (although tech savvy people might be able to find a way around that) and the quality is not the best (and is not intended to be).

As for copyright, the site in Australia was taken off-line for some time not too long ago due to copyright concerns. I assume it has reappeared because those questions have been satisfactorily answered by all concerned. Maybe not, but I believe the issue of copyright was looked into.
  10. eflatbass

eflatbass Supporting Member

11. and

In the past we had a lot of discussions with the great record labels about the pro and cons of copyright, especial of the 50 years regulation for mechanical rights. After this comments that we read in this thread we have a much better understanding why record companies charge very high penalties for illegal copies.
    May be that the Salvation Army has given the permission for such publications, this is not our task, and it was also not the issue of this thread, but these comments indicates very clear the opinion of some people that use the internet to update their audio library.

With these comments we also get a clear indication, that people in principal like the re-recording of historical music, but it seems that many of them would have it for free. Due the fact that this is impossible, if all re-recordings will be processed on the highest level, we think that such services are only interesting for a couple of music connoisseurs.
  12. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Well, there is an argument for saying that since a majority of people these days are happy to listen to their music on mp3 players, and fewer and fewer people are prepared to shell out for high end audio equipment, there is very little to be gained by "processing on the highest level", other than, as you say, for the few music connosseurs. Whether that's a financially viable proposition is, probably, doubtful.
  13. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

There are fewer things every day in the music industry staying financially viable :(
  14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

:mad: ... as I wait on the late delivery of a power amplifier to bi-amp my speakers ...
  15. eflatbass

eflatbass Supporting Member

Personally, I am more than willing to pay good money for high quality NEW recordings, but when listening to older material I do prefer the original “sound” which, in my opinion, is important in maintaining authenticity. If I have to revert to hearing such recordings on web sites where the audio experience is free, then I have no feeling of guilt.

Regarding a digitally enhanced reproduction: it may well remove the scratches and bumps, but I fear it also gives a false representation of the original creation.
  16. As we talk about high quality, we talk about the restoration process. It's a great difference if you restore the audio material in a quick way, or if you will process it carefully with all technical possibilities. We sell our music also as mp3 files, so we know what music enthusiasts prefer, but the process before is one of the most important issues.

:tup Thanks for this helpful feedback. This was exact what we expected in this discussion. May be that it is a very intersting aspect to offer 2 versions of download files. The first one in the original form (without clicks and plops) and the other one in an optimised form.