Historic Hymnals

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by brasscrest, May 13, 2010.

1. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

For many years, my father has collected old hymnals and song books, mostly dating from the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Since his retirement, he's begun giving them to me. I decided that the best way to "display" them would be to scan them and post them on the Web. For anyone who is interested in hymns and sacred songs, I hope that this will be a valuable primary resource.

The site's just launched, and there's only one book completed at the moment. Here's the link:

historichymnals.com

Be aware that the page images are high-resolution scans - the files may be quite large (500 kb up to 3 Mb).

Note on copyright - Under the US Copyright Act of 1976, the maximum term for any work originally copyrighted before 1 January 1978 is 95 years. Therefore, any work copyrighted in the US before 1915 is in the public domain. US copyright law is a bit murky for older works because of the pre-1978 system of registration and renewal. For those who are interested in the duration of US copyrights, this is a good place to start:
    http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ15a.pdf

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  2. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Robert, I think you're undertaking a marvellous project here. Bravo.

3. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Fantastic idea! Keep up the good work.

4. Aurora771

Aurora771 Member

Very interesting. More bands need to have a little rummage to see if they have similar treasures!