Hissy tone

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Jonesy, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Jonesy

Jonesy Member

Hi there, first post! I'm a lapsed cornet player, and have recently got my instruments back out. I haven't played regularly since I was about 15 (5 years ago). I'm finding that my tone is too airy. It sounds about 75% note and 25% hiss. I never used to have this problem. I've tried playing all 3 of my instruments so I guess I can rule out the possibility of a technical fault. This happens equally in all registers, and irrelevant of note length. It's just 'there', and it's really annoying me. I'm finding articulation difficult- when I try to tongue softly, the front of the note is wooly and not crisp. Again, sounds quite airy.

I wonder if anyone could suggest what might be going on here and anything I could try to put it right. Obviously I need to practice like mad, but I don't want to be practicing poor technique.

I did run a search and found a thread which contained a link to another thread on a similar topic- but the link no longer existed.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    cornet player
    tone
    front
    note
    instruments
  3. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Hi, and welcome to tMP!!

Maybe I can help to find the thread again...what words did you use to search? Or, even better, can you give me the link to the inactive thread?

You can send it via a private Message to me (click on my username on the left and go to "send private message"). Hopefully I can help. :D