Hints for Browsing theMouthpiece.com(and other websites too)

Discussion in 'tMP Site News & Suggestions' started by Fishsta, Jun 26, 2003.

1. Fishsta

Fishsta Active Member

Hints for browsing theMouthpiece.com
    (And other websites too)

Here's a few tips for those of you who like to keep up to date with this site, and some of them carry across to other sites too.

1) Using the "View Posts Since Last Visit" option
    Simple enough... when you open the front page (and have logged in if you don't do it automatically), look over to the right of the page, and there it is... click it, and only the threads that have received posts since last time you visited will be displayed. This follows nicely to:

2) Opening Multiple Windows
    Having to keep flicking back and forth between windows can be a pain in the ass... so open new windows. I make my "default" window size for Internet Explorer as small as possible (easiest way to do this is to open IE, use the manual adjust in the bottom right corner to make it as small as possible, then close it. Next time you open it, it will be that size, just click Maximise to get going).

When you're browsing the forum, in particular, you may have used the "View New Posts" option, you can now open threads and topics in multiple windows by holding down your "Shift" button and clicking on the threads. Remember you can also click on the arrows under the "Last Post" column to go straight to the last post in the threads, or if a thread goes over several pages, you can click a page number under the thread title.

3) It's hard to read!

Something I didn't know previously... if you have one of those posh navigation mice (The ones with a wheel), you may or may not know that it has several functions. Yes, you can scroll with it, but you can also "click" it, this will give you an icon for scrolling. Move the mouse further away from the icon to scroll faster in that direction.

You can also quickly alter the size of text in your browser with this. Normally, you would go to the "view" menu, then "text size" and alter it there... but if you've got a mousewheel, just hold the left CTRL button and use your wheel....

Just one point, it doesn't work on images, only on text, and it may cause some websites to look seriously odd! It also doesn't seem to work that well on this site either, but that could be due to the nature of the database that this site operates with.

Feel free to post your hints and tips for the browsing and perusal of this site to this thread.
  2. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

how about upon computer crash, or ie crash. your new posts are reset. how can you deal with that?
  3. Fishsta

Fishsta Active Member

OK, you want a solution for that?

No problem.

Should either your computer or IE crash, here's what to do.

1) Firstly, ensure tMP.com isn't your start page. Right click your IE icon and go into properties, change it to Yahoo or something.

2) Open IE.

3) Go into the file menu and select "Work Offline"

4) Access tMP.com, it should access the one last stored in your Internet Cache. Your new posts should be the same as they were before. Click to view new posts.

5) Now turn off the Work Offline option in the file menu.

6) Once you've caught up with the posts, you can click the tMP logo to see any more new posts.

Further hints or suggestions for hints are welcome! Hope this one helps!
  4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I thought it may be worth posting something here about the Page 12 of 11 problem:

If, when you click on a topic, the latest messages do not appear, return to the main page (ie Rehearsal Room) and click on the name of the person who posted last.

If you then click on "Find all posts by..." and select the relevant topic then any missing posts can be read.

This is due to a software glitch, and has been mentioned elsewhere in the forum.
  5. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

... and will hopefully be fixed when I do a software upgrade on tMP shceduled very soon... :) fingers crossed :wink:
  6. dyl

dyl Active Member

Easier still, when in the 'View posts since last visit' page, clicking on the [​IMG] icon next to the person's name takes you to the last post in that thread.
  7. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

this works for the crash scenario, but what about when you don't have time to read all the posts and it auto logs you aout and says "no new messages"? Is there anything you can do for that?
  8. Fishsta

Fishsta Active Member

I'll work on that one... I assume you tick the box to stay logged in on the front page when you log in (assuming you use a shared computer)? Clicking Logout from the top is pretty secure if you don't want people going on it after you.
  9. bladder

bladder Member

Crash Senarios

Solution 1 - Don't use WinXX or IExx. Use Linux+Mozilla it's bomb-proof!!

Solution 2 - You could try editing/updating your tMP cookies, I'm not sure how php2BB works but you might be able to doctor your last visit date, it's probably saved in a cookie.