Hint: A little Gem for FireFox 1.0 Users....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by TheMusicMan, Oct 22, 2004.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

For tMP'ers who use Firefox 1.0 Preview

There is a small bug in the Firefox 1.0 Preview version code that sometimes causes the editor box in vB (and other forum www sites) not to show the correct buttons, and also not to show the correct tags within the posted text.

To fix this, and to really improve the editor functionality, here's the fix...

You will notice that in the edit box (when you reply or post new) that there will be a far clearer set of functions available and also that you can then use the ctrl-B, ctrl-I, ctrl-U for formatting functions.

Drop a reply here if you're stuck...
  2. davidsait

davidsait Member

Cheers for that.
  3. Farmer Giles

Farmer Giles Member

is firefox really as good as ppl say ?
    i am getting really onnoyed with IE6 at the mo !

4. dyl

dyl Active Member

Try it - and you'll never look at IE again! (link at the bottom of this page)
  5. TheMusicMan

You bet it is... fantastic browser, full of great features... have a go - it's free and as Dyl pointed out there's a link at the bottom of the page.
  6. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

Several people had been telling me how good it was for AGES. I finally downloaded it a month or so ago and haven't looked back since. I love the tabbed browsing thing - what a great idea!

Thanks for the fix, John. It now looks the same as when I log in at work at lunchtime. Ta.
  7. Farmer Giles

Farmer Giles Member

i've downloaded it and it looks good so far.

what is this tabbed browsing thing ?

8. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

When you have Firefox open, click on File, then New Tab and a new page opens up in the same window ready for you to type in the url of your choice. You can click on the tabs at the top to move between the pages - it's fantastic, much easier to manage all your browser windows. Once you have 2 tabs open, you can right click on "blank tab space" and choose to open a new tab from there. (Sorry - my explanations are good over the telephone but not good in person or in typing. Let me know if you didn't understand any of that!)

I also love the fact that it opens a totally blank page, doesn't waste time downloading the home page again every time you open a new tab. I have my gmail, eBay and tMP open all in the same window, and it's easier for me to see when there are changes to any of them.
  9. TheMusicMan

Tabbed browsing is instead of multiple browser applications open such as when viewing multiple pages in IE, you can have them each open in seperate tabs all running in the same instance of Firefox.

If you hold the ctrl key down when clicking on a URL link in a web page, instead of a new instance of your browser opening, a new tab opens within Firefox. This is especially useful when you have a slow loading page - you can open that one, then flick back to the pages you were browsing, then return to the slow page when it has fully loaded.

You can also change the appearance and buttons etc by going to tools>themes then click on the URL bottom right of that window to get loads more themes.

Let me know if you need some more help... :)
  10. Farmer Giles

Farmer Giles Member

cool ! :cool:

many thanks !

11. TheMusicMan

November 9th is the BIG day... that's when Firefox 1.0 final will be released.
  12. davidsait

davidsait Member

Even easier tabbed browsing: Click on a link with a middle mouse button (or scroll button), and it opens as a tab in the background.
  13. TheMusicMan

Wehey - Firefox gets better each day.... thanks Dave. :tup
  14. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

Cool. I must try that next time I plug a mouse into the laptop ;)
  15. Sharpy

Sharpy Member

Ive just downloaded Firefox and it os soooooo much better than IE6. It just seems to load up about a million times quicker! And the tabbed browsing is great. Just goes to show that Bill gates really is the Anti christ and should not be allowed to monopolise OS the way he does.
  16. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't go that far at all...

Firefox is a quality product though