Himes Concertino for Flugel and Brass Band

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by horn-girlie, Oct 29, 2006.

1. horn-girlie

horn-girlie Member

has anyone played or heard this and is it any good?! I dont really know anything about it, but I'm looking to buy a flugel solo, and wondered what the general views were on this one! it's not actually for me, but i'm looking for a solo that's technically changelling, but also has nice tuneful bits to it, so all comments welcome ...

2. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Well-Known Member

It has been recorded on the Polyphonic label. I produced the CD some years ago, but can't remember with whom (Leyland???). Anyway if you phone Studio Music/Polyphonic on 020 8830 0110, I'm sure they can tell you.

I don't remember it being particularly technical but it is a very good piece, of course, being by Bill Himes!!

3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- Gary Lord played it on the 1997 (release date) CD 'Light As Air' [QPRL 084D] ;)

4. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Concertino is a really good solo. I've mentioned it several times in other discussions here as I'm a big fan of it, it shows the flugel can do more than play Aranjeuz or Misty. As Philip says its not massively technical, but does still have a few areas to keep you interested ;) .

I've looked on the 'net and can't find too much info on it (anyone?) so the following is from memory, please feel free to correct...;)

Its in three movements, the first movement is a rondo burlesca, there is a particularly nice slow movement titled "ballad" and the third is a quick tarantella. Each movement is good enough to be played alone, or you could go for the full-fat wow factor and do all three!

As for recordings - Stan Lippeat recorded it on his "Friends" album, and Philip was right, it was recorded by Leyland (JJB Sports) on the CD Light as Air - although I don't know who was actually playing it on that CD.

Great solo and something different. You should go for it.

(EDIT: Beaten by Brassneck - note to self: learn to touch type!!)

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Other flugel concertos you can look at are Darrol Barry's and John Golland's.

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- are you still playing the elbow's game Ian? ;)

I'm listening to the Himes' Concertino now and the first mvt. is very similar to what Garry Howarth wrote in the '70s, ... lyrical and very playful (with a slight hint of Joe Horovitz there too). 2nd mvt. is more like a jazz-blues ballad style and the last, although sounding fairly high set, is a typical compound time finale in the mood of Vinter's 'Hunter's Moon' (horn solo). Nicely scored with soloist not swallowed up by accompanying players.

post edit:- Darrol Barry's Concerto, featured on Foden's 'Sunburst' album, is REALLY good! Very considerate writing for the instrument.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2006
  7. leisa

leisa Active Member

there is another thread on this somewhere i remember doin it aaaaaaaaages ago. I really like the concerto did some of it for a-level, a couple of yrs ago. speciallyn like 2nd mvemnt :clap: