Himes Concertino for Flugel and Brass Band

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by horn-girlie, Oct 29, 2006.

1. horn-girlie

horn-girlie Member

has anyone played or heard this and is it any good?! I dont really know anything about it, but I'm looking to buy a flugel solo, and wondered what the general views were on this one! it's not actually for me, but i'm looking for a solo that's technically changelling, but also has nice tuneful bits to it, so all comments welcome ...
  2. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

It has been recorded on the Polyphonic label. I produced the CD some years ago, but can't remember with whom (Leyland???). Anyway if you phone Studio Music/Polyphonic on 020 8830 0110, I'm sure they can tell you.

I don't remember it being particularly technical but it is a very good piece, of course, being by Bill Himes!!
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- Gary Lord played it on the 1997 (release date) CD 'Light As Air' [QPRL 084D] ;)
  4. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Concertino is a really good solo. I've mentioned it several times in other discussions here as I'm a big fan of it, it shows the flugel can do more than play Aranjeuz or Misty. As Philip says its not massively technical, but does still have a few areas to keep you interested ;) .

I've looked on the 'net and can't find too much info on it (anyone?) so the following is from memory, please feel free to correct...;)

Its in three movements, the first movement is a rondo burlesca, there is a particularly nice slow movement titled "ballad" and the third is a quick tarantella. Each movement is good enough to be played alone, or you could go for the full-fat wow factor and do all three!

As for recordings - Stan Lippeat recorded it on his "Friends" album, and Philip was right, it was recorded by Leyland (JJB Sports) on the CD Light as Air - although I don't know who was actually playing it on that CD.

Great solo and something different. You should go for it.

(EDIT: Beaten by Brassneck - note to self: learn to touch type!!)
  5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Other flugel concertos you can look at are Darrol Barry's and John Golland's.
  6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- are you still playing the elbow's game Ian? ;)

I'm listening to the Himes' Concertino now and the first mvt. is very similar to what Garry Howarth wrote in the '70s, ... lyrical and very playful (with a slight hint of Joe Horovitz there too). 2nd mvt. is more like a jazz-blues ballad style and the last, although sounding fairly high set, is a typical compound time finale in the mood of Vinter's 'Hunter's Moon' (horn solo). Nicely scored with soloist not swallowed up by accompanying players.

post edit:- Darrol Barry's Concerto, featured on Foden's 'Sunburst' album, is REALLY good! Very considerate writing for the instrument.
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2006
  7. leisa

leisa Active Member

there is another thread on this somewhere i remember doin it aaaaaaaaages ago. I really like the concerto did some of it for a-level, a couple of yrs ago. speciallyn like 2nd mvemnt :clap: