Highlight of your 2011 year.........

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Keith Stanley James Lever, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Keith Stanley James Lever

Keith Stanley James Lever Supporting Member

What was your highlight for the year of 2011 ? Mine was being aked by David Ashworth and the Boarshurst Band to play EEb Tuba on Whit Friday. The Band played through the streets of Greenfield in the morning, then retired to the Band Club for Potato Pie and refreshments. In the evening we did the Saddleworth "tour" putting in EIGHT Contests and picking up SEVEN First Prizes. What a wonderful day,THANKS Ashie and Boarshurst Band, really made my year of playing. KSJ

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Resurgam
    Cross Patonce
    March
    solo euph
    Highlight
  3. Miss Saxophone

Miss Saxophone New Member

My highlights were being asked to join the big band and playing River Dance with the brass band, what a spectacular sound! :D

4. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Nick Childs to me "Bass trombone I really like you, not as a person, just the sound you make"

well chuffed :)

5. euph77

euph77 Member

For me the highlight was going on stage in March and playing Resurgam as solo euph: not our greatest result ever, but I came off that stage as proud as I have ever been. :)

6. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Its been a pretty good year for me banding wise. In 2011 we packed in a CD recording, a very successful run of Brassed Off, picked up some quality players, and had a recent run of very good contest form, resulting in our first appearance in the 4BR rankings (right at the bottom though!!!). But for me I guess the win at Wychavon was the highlight, I knew the band were playing well, but the result was still a little unexpected and very deserved by our MD and band manager in particular who have stuck with it through some pretty difficult times. It was especially pleasing as the performance was a real team effort - every player from our soloists through to the tutti part players all worked hard and played well as a result. We did go on to win the WMBBA contest and put a decent performance in at Leicester, but Wychavon, being the first (and also a contest where I have never had any kind of success) was special.

7. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

After a very poor (but fair) result at the area the banding year has been a smiley one. Up the mighty Milnrow!!!!

8. Main ones are joining Burry Port Town Band, playing on the National Youth Brass Band of Wales, winning wychavon playing with BTM, 2 consecutive wins with Burry Port in the Burry Port and Blaenavon Contests, and also winning the scottish open with Tongwynlais! tidy stuff! nearly forgot my city of cardiff days at the beginning of the year, 5th at welsh open and 2nd at regionals! Good stuff!

9. cracker of a performance at scottish open! was slightly drunk watching but very much enjoyed it!

10. ilovespheres

ilovespheres Member

My highlight...sitting back and listening to Cory's Red Priest at this year's British Open. What a performance. What a band. :clap:

11. getting to the national finals in cheltenham would be mine.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Resurgam
    Cross Patonce
    March
    solo euph
    Highlight
  13. Columbo

Columbo Member

Easy one this matey!
    After being given no chance at the Areas, the Golborne band performance that took us to the Nationals. Thanks to all there at Golborne for a great 18 months. Hopefully we've built a great foundation on which the band will now build on. The cornerstones being, Hard Work, Consistency, Support and most of all Enjoy what you do! Thats it Keith, a chance to take Golborne to the Nationals and proudly stand in front of them at Cheltenham, a moment I shall never forget as long as I'm around. Have a great Xmas Keith and see you soon.

14. bumper-euph

bumper-euph Member

The whole year, winning both local 3rd section contests in April and October (SCABA) with prizes all round and then winning the SCABA Band of the Year by a single point.........

15. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

Highlights have to include winning Butlins back in January, and then our performance at RAH this october. We put on an awesome show, surprised many in the crowd, and listening back to the recording and hearing the response we received really sends a shiver down the spine!

16. its_jon

its_jon Member

Been asked if I wanted to contest with a championship section band after guesting with them.
    50 mile away for me though, as are all 1st and champ section bands.

17. grahammck

grahammck Member

Touring Paris with Pangbourne band at the end of August, including a visit to Houdan & a concert at Disneyland. That's a banding trip I'll never forget. :D

18. classicbrass

classicbrass Member

Being asked to sit in with Lees band - and then the relative success of coming third in their first ever contest at Fleetwood!! I didn't play but being able to practise with them has brought my playing on in leaps & bounds. Thanks for the opportunity to John Collins - roll on the North West regionals in Blackpool.

Merry Christmas to everybody involved with this site, the posters and bandsmen everwhere; and best wishes for the coming year.

19. ophicliede

ophicliede Member

That the band has improved so much this year and played so well and when competing against other bands they have sent such nice acknowledgements. That has made 2011 such a memorable year! Thank you to all concerned.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  20. fartycat

fartycat Member

The massive cheer we got at the end of our performance of Breath of Souls at the Albert Hall and the band's dancing at Butlins and Yeovil (especially the baritones!) comes close but listening to our flugel player Chris play his solo in Paganini Variations on stage at the areas with such utter flawless beauty wins it for me.

21. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Winning the Grand Shield and playing at the British Open for the first time!

22. basebonetone

basebonetone Member

Think I would have to say winning doubles on both Yorkshire area and National Finals I think! :)