Highland cathedral

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by bandrh, Sep 5, 2005.

1. bandrh

bandrh Member

Can someone advise what arrangement of Highland cathedral is best to use with bagpipes?
    Is there any other good pieces to do with bagpipes?
    many thanks
    Martin

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    cathedral
    someone
    arrangement
    Highland cathedral
    pieces
  3. Sharpy

Sharpy Member

As long as whichever arrangement you use is in concert Eb you should be OK!! But I must ask the question, WHY?!! Having spent a month sandwiched between two pipers every night I cant imagine why anybody would want to voluntarily!!!!

4. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

We've just recorded the David Lancaster arrangement. As far as the old Agony Bags go, it works. Not pleasant on the ears in a low ceilinged bandroom though!

5. Sharpy

Sharpy Member

Its not anymore pleasent outdoors either!!!

(I love Bagpipes... honest!!)

6. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Thanks Andy. Available from Dragon Music Publishing www.dragonmusicpublishing.com It's been done with any number of pipers between one and around five hunded, and I know which I prefer!

Cheers

D

7. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

An abiding memory for me......playing a Millenium event at York Race Course.......massed bands (under the baton of the arranger himself)....and dozens of the single volumed screeching buggers.....most of whom had no concept of beats or bars.....when asked how do you all start together(ish), one of the beskirted gentlemen stamped his foot twice.

Best performed with the biggest concert bass drum you can find beaten at ffff. (The only way we found to keep the yowling sacs together!)

Ah....happy days.

Sud

8. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

Burning burning is the best thing to do with bagpipes.........literally that is!!!

9. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

oh dear just bought this arrangemnent from David - the concert hall ceiling is very low!!!!!!!

Ear plugs required

10. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

NONE!! ;)

Highland Cathedral is awful, its really depressing and the pipes usually come in the wrong place, (If you were at the YABB concert in Brantford, Ontario last month, you'll know what I mean, and it was embarrasing for me, being the only Scot in the band!!) I think that one was a Simon Kerwin (?) arragement, cant remember for sure but it was OK as far as the piece working.

Pipers are best left on their own, doing all their fast solos and slurs, thats about the only time I like listening to them (and thats not very often!)

I know Im Scottish but I hate that tune!! :rolleyes:

11. brass journo

brass journo Member

I think Simon Kerwin has arranged one as well

Tabbs

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    cathedral
    someone
    arrangement
    Highland cathedral
    pieces
  13. NAS

NAS Member

Wullie!!!

The arrangement we did on YABB was Alan Ramsays I think!

14. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

You don't have to like it. The composers were German.

I'd like to add that I do publish lots of other pieces that don't involve bagpipes. :)

D

15. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

Aye, simon's done an arrangement of it. It was used at the 2003 National Championships of Great Britain Gala Concert by the 'co with a lone piper. Went down a blummin' treat it did.

16. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Indeed they are and whilst some on this forum might hate it played with bagpipes it does go down well with audiences here on Arran! Personally, I like it and I'm not Scottish. Or German.

;)

17. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

So do I; especially when they're being played in the highlands of Scotland and I'm safe in Southern Ontario ;)

As for YABB in Brantford, the parts that worked sounded OK but it obviously suffered from a lack of rehearsal.

18. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

The best place to hear Highland Cathedral is standing at or near the centre at Murrayfield as the Scots rugby team run out. The feeling starts at buckle level, and erupts with the roar of the crowd. Done it twice - wow!!!:clap:

As for another brass/pipes piece - believe it or not, get a decent piper, and an arrangement of 'When the saints' in (concert) Bb - excellent, utter show-stopper!

(BTW, best way to listen to a pipe band is from the next county - anyone else at Pipefest?? :eek::eek: )

19. bruceg

bruceg Active Member

Have to say that this is possibly my least favourite piece of music - ever! With the exception of all the Crazy Frog crap. I'm Scottish to the core, I love the sound of (well played) pipes but I hate Highland Cathedral with a passion unimaginable.

Glad to have got that off my chest :D

20. groovy

groovy Active Member

Our band is lucky enough to have a REALLY good piper so Highland Cathedral is fine. We tend to do Amazing Grace though, I have a feeling it is arranged by Kingston (?) but will check. It's pretty good, and can be flugel instead of pipes doing the solo at the start.

21. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

I've got to admit, I'm not a massive fan of the arrangement our band plays of Highland Cathederal, mainly because its one heck of a long blow, I hate pipe bands, and I'm an Englishman, but there is something very special about the piece when the Scots run out to it at Murrayfield. I reckon that a Scottish composer would have been proud of writing a piece like that, let alone two Germans!!

22. Souter

Souter Member

There are a few hand written arrangements doing the rounds of Scottish Bands - we have quite agood one and if anyone is on here from peebles they have an excellent arrangement. May be worthwhile informally messaging a few of the members from Scottish bands on here for a copy.

We also play Scotland the Brave with our local pipe band and have also played an arrangement of Amazing Grace with Brass and pipes.