Highest Note in a piece.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Matt Lawson, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Matt Lawson

Matt Lawson Member

Slightly random question I agree, but what's the highest written note you've ever come across in a piece of brass band music for your instrument?

I can't remember anything above a top D for cornet.

Then again, I've not seen top section test pieces which I'm sure venture up above that on occasions...
  2. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

Apocalypse (Bourgeois) I believe goes up to top E (on 3 ledger lines) for soprano cornet and back row. But there is an optional super F sharp for solo euphonium in Harrison's Dream (Graham).
    Neither are my instrument, but playing high notes on percussion isn't quite the same!
  3. BrotherBone

BrotherBone Member

4 ledger lines if memory serves for last note of Gareth Woods Dance Sequence for Trombone Solo... ouchy!!
  4. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

Is this just pieces for band, or solos too? Because if its solos too then that's another matter.
  5. Veri

Veri Member

The second euph part of Softly As I Leave you finishes on an optional F, a whole octave above the stave.

But then I think it was written for the Childs brothers!

(I played the F on the top line of the stave and it sounded fine, just not virtuosi!)
  6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Horns in St Magnus go up to top E# I think.

Sop in Journey to the Centre of the Earth had a couple of Ebs (although there was an alternative).
  7. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

E above stave for BBb Basses in Snell's Entry of Gods into Valhalla. Manuscript one anyway.
  8. andyp

andyp Active Member

Plenty solos with F/G above top C in (The Debutante, Sounds of the Hudson, etc), euphs go really high (one recording of I think Slavische Fantasie ends on super C above top C).

Off the top of my head.......

Top solo cornet part in "Windows Of The World" (Peter Graham) goes to Eb above top C, although it's only doubling the sop part.

For sop, Pastime With Good Company finishes on top D (I got it once and could never do it again!) and Soul Bossa Nova (the Austin Powers thing) goes up there too (but at least you get a run at it).
  9. andyp

andyp Active Member

Oh, and ultimate cheeks-together-and-blow moment......the last note of Wilfred Heaton's "Contest Music" for solo cornet is a C#.....after you've played x lines of top A's, too!
    Couple of fff C#'s bit earlier on in the last movement, too, some piece!

Think Year of the Dragon has some too bout 20-odd bars from the end, but it was a long time ago.
  10. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I might be wrong (it wasn't my part!), but in Voyage of Discovery isn't the very first note played by 1st trombone a D or E above the stave? :confused:
  11. BrianT

BrianT Member

screamy notes...

We played this at band last night - I sort of switch into big band screamy trumpet mode. Which is OK, the D comes out well enough (would be a super G if played on a Bb cornet), but it's irresistable to do a big band style swoop off the note too. Completely out of style with the rest of the piece. I'm trying to break the habit, honest.
  12. Solo cornets go up to top C on that. Isn't that equivalent to a super-F on sop, in terms of how hard it is to play?
  13. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

IIRC Passacaglia on a theme from Brahms goes up to top E for the front row (and rep?). I can still picture the front row's expressions when they played that bar, somewhere between consternation and constipation...;) :p
  14. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

The first real scary I remember as a youngster was the E in Harmony Music for solo euph. E natural is a horrible note to play properly.

Dr Wilby isn't shy either - antiphonal high Fs for both euphs at fff....don't tell anyone, but Andy Keegan missed his and I hit mine when Besses got their best result at the Open since winning it in '82 ;)

There are optional Gs in Entry of the God (in the manuscript euph part) - so it's not just the Basses Andy :D

There was a minor uproar when Howard Blake's Fusions had top Bb written for flugel. That's obviously been topped now with Whitsun Wakes....
  15. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

These people must have 'special' instruments. My Tenor Horn can only work up to top C, there definitely are no higher notes in it. :)
  16. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Don't know that part Keith, whats the note? Just thinking about it now I remember the flugel solo in Ball's High Peak goes to top C and also the end of Vinter Variations on a Ninth is pretty high for flugel (above the rep part), but up to top B??

Flugels are such delcate flowers, all this high note stuff goes against the grain a little ;)

EDIT: Oh just remembered there is a top C quaver earlier in the flugel part of Variations. Does that count? :p
  17. KMJ Recordings

I remember playing Alla Burlesca (one of the Vinter quartets) an octave up with Mark Wilkinson, Keith Warriner and Jason Smith....don't think that counts though. The euph tune in that run through went up to high Ab ;)
  18. KMJ Recordings

Isn't it a high C at the top of the flugel cadenza in WW with a pause on it? Not seen the part (played the euph part), just remembering it and going off recordings. We, er, premiered it at the Open and I've tried to put it out of my mund :D
  19. Bungle

Bungle Member

Andy, what's with the Lancashire in your profile, Southport hasn't been in Lancashire since 1974. I can't understand the newspapers still getting it wrong. You're not one of those snobby residents are you ;)

From what I seem to remember, doesn't the end of Pines of Rome have some screamers in for the front row cornets?

The Dance Sequence mentioned earlier in the thread goes up to a top F#. Painful at the end of a 10 minute long solo, but sounds incredible if played by the right player!

For my own experience, the highest note I remember having to play was in a test piece (can't remember which it was) where I had a top A somewhere in it. Not a particularly pleasant note on a bass trom at the best of times, but made all the harder by the fact it was followed by a stupid pedal note almost immediately afterwards. Neither notes really a problem on their own or oin a run up/down, but the jump was ridiculous.

I have had to play the trombone solo in Montage at two hours notice before now as well, think that goes up to a concert C#. Needless to say, I stuffed it up. Ah well...