Higher Grade Theory

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Cornet_player, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Cornet_player

Cornet_player Member

Hi,

Does anyone know if there is a CD ROM for Grades 6-8 ABRSM Theory exams?? :?

I have done a search on Google but it doesnt have any 'Hits'
    :( :(

Also how useful is post grade 5 Theory and what benifits does it have?

I imagine that someone would make one somewhere or is there a 'gap in the market?'

Thanks in advance :D

2. NeilW

NeilW Member

OK, I'll bite :)

You mean there's a CD that helps learn Grade V theory ? Who does it?

(not for me, you understand, of course! I just can't remember it all and am helping someone else learn...)

Neil.

3. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Well personally I've got grade V theory and A-Level and Uni work have pretty much covered me past that, so unless you are not thinking of doing music to an advanced level (like in uni) then it's not really worth it.

4. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

I'd say the complete opposite! If you're not going to doing music academically at A level or higher, but you still want to learn more, then imho grade 6 theory is definitely worth doing.
    Dunno about CD roms though - I don't think they'd been invented when I did it! :oops:

5. Jo Elson

Jo Elson Member

I wouldn't have thought you'd need anything above grade 5 theory. I did mine 5 years ago and that was only because of doing higher grades on piano(which your not allowed to do without it). But if you were going to do them then i wouldn't do them all skip 6 an 8 or 7an 8. Our piano teacher made us do all the grades including the step exams first, but on flugel i did 3 then 5 etc, an it really is a waste of money doing them all.

6. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

I must admit I'm embarrassed to say that despite playing since 1976, my musical theory is shocking, and I really should brush up on it.
    I'm still embarrassed by my first day for Rooke band in Gibraltar which had clarinets and flutes and things. When we were told to play a concert B-flat, i was the muppet who played an actual b-flat and then proceeded to tut at the obviously "sub-standard" cornet i had been given.

Well why didn't he tell me that it was a C :roll:

7. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Very useful, in my experience.

I doubt I would be as handy in terms of playing, composing and conducting without the full monty of knowledge gained from learning theory to Grade 6 and taking A level music. I really wish I hadn't decided not to go to university - I still hanker after a composotion or conducting based music degree. (Maybe when I'm rich...)

8. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I have grade 8 theory... It was errr, interesting... hard work though... Dunno if it was worth it half the time... whenever I talk music jargon to people half of them don't have the foggiest idea what I'm talking about! :lol:
    Seriously though, for me, yea, it has it's benefits...
    Didn't use any CD roms or anything though... just my little brain (which nearly imploded), and a lot of help from my tutor at the time

;-)

9. Cornet_player

Cornet_player Member

Yes I think that there are a number of people who make CD Roms that guide the user through Grades 1-5. Most Music shops should be able to help with this as Im not sure of exact details or which is the best, as I didnt use a CD ROM.

Im currently doing A-Level music and intend to continue to study at uni. I have started working through the grade 6 theory book but I dont find it explains things very well. I just hoped that there was a CD that would explain it more clearly with extra exercises that would be marked by the PC. The other problem is that I dont have anyone that can assess the work that I do, other than at school and then I should really be doing the A-level work...... :roll: :roll:

Oh well Thanks....any advice is always gratefully recieved :D :D

10. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

well, depending on what uni your planning on going to will depend on how high you really need to go... Asking around the Salford students, I was amazed at how many people have never done theory grades before... :shock:

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    ABRSM Theory
    :D
    Google
    doesnt
    Grade Theory Hi
  12. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

. . you still playing that cornet then! :p

I've GrVIII Theory. Whilst not directly applicable to most things it adds to your background understanding of music and how it works.

13. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

I have Grade VI theory (but you wouldn't know it...) I also have Grade VI Trinity College theory which I did when I was playing recorder/clarinet (differrent teacher) - but had to do the Associated Board ones for Associated Board practical exams (though you only need Grade V I believe).

Can't remember a thing from it though! (Or maybe it's all there, somewhere deep in the recesses of that thing purporting to be a brain).

Kirsty

14. blue_smarties

blue_smarties Member

My mum bought me a CD Rom when I was doin Grade 5 theory, DAOS made it and it set her back £50 :eek: :) it starts at the basics and goes up to G5 standard, can't really remember how good it is, it seems ages ago!!