High register

Discussion in 'tMP's .... "On the Spot" interview area' started by imthemaddude, Feb 26, 2006.

1. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

I am now a backrow cornet player but I still do some solo work and want to eventually get back on a front row seat, however, I'm struggling with my upper register. I have less time to practice these days with work and so band practices are vital, but with so many rests and hardly any notes above a top G, how can I utilise my practice and playing so that I can stll manage top notes when needed. Thanks

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    notes
    band practices
    backrow cornet player
    High register
    solo work
  3. Ankanala

Ankanala Member

Hi

This is a common problem for back row players who generally use bigger mouthpieces to help the lower register - perhaps a clue is there, have a smaller mouthpiece for solo work that helps develop the upper range!

I have a screamer mouthpiece for high register trumpet work but for the cornet i use an old DW4 that I am happy with throughout the range.

As far as exercises go, try to build stamina and lip flexibility. The Carles Colin book of Lip Flexibilities is a godsend and I use them regularly. Start gently and gradually increase the intensity aiminmg for smoothness and ease across the range. For stamina particularly just play long notes and slow melodies but keep a regular practice routine.

Good luck