High notes

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by RossAB, Feb 20, 2012.

1. RossAB

RossAB Member

I had a quick search through the forum for any similar topics but couldn't see any, so apologies if I've started a thread that's already been done before!

Long story short, something I've always found more difficult (on Horn and Flugel) is my upper range. On occasion I can hit a Top C, but it can be very hit and miss from a G upwards, and when I do hit those notes, they can often sound weak. Any particular advice on hitting these notes as well as making them sound more confident would be greatly appreciated!
  2. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

There is an online free booklet called ''Double High C and Beyond'', that gives exercises to gradually improve your range.

(And I found that practicing high notes on my cornet, helped with high notes on my horn and flugel. )
  3. subtlevib

subtlevib Member

Is there a link to this - I've had a look and couldn't find.
  4. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

There also one called Dubba C and beyond by the tastee bros - Scott Englebright (Ex lead with MF? needs citation) and Donny Dyess

You can find their guide to hitting the dubba c via this link http://www.gibble.org/high.htm

Some of it is very sensible, but about 80-90% is complete and utter rubbish, or just plain funny.

5. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I'll jump in before anyone else does: go see a decent brass tutor - it's by far and away the best value for money in the long run.
  6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... only if the teacher is experienced in high note production. I would say few and far between. ;)
  7. nethers

nethers Active Member

A personal perspective - my high range has historically been the poorest aspect of my playing but it is now much better (although probably is still the poorest part!).

My own problem was identified by a great teacher as poor air direction in to the mouthpiece caused by a large angle in my jaw (I have a cracking overbite).

Lots of work on correcting my jaw position and some sensible practise and I am now well on the way to having a decent high register. It certainly sounds a lot better and more consistent throughout the range!

$50 well spent, if you are ever in NZ I will be happy to refer you to the right man :D
  8. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

There is no quick solution to "high" notes.
    Best see a teacher really, but 2pennys worth...
    Most often then not the issue (if not a genuine embouchure issue) is usually too much of the wrong kind of effort if that makes sense.
    i.e. squeeze, strain, choke... the air... squeaky airy sound. :)
    Focus on pushing the air.
    Flexibility books, scale studies are good for increasing range. You won't increase a 4th in solid range over night, so semitone by semitone, with good structured practice of the right material, you will gradually increase your range.
    As you ascend the scale, getting from F (to line, treble clef) you should be making "E" sound (as in lower notes.. Toooh.., mid register, Taaaah, upper register Teeee) Say it out loud to yourself and try and visualise the shape of the air column through your mouth out through your embouchure into the instrument.
    A slur from C (3rd space) to G (just above stave) should be a (c)Taaa - (g)Eeeee ? get the idea? Initially, this may result in a thin sound, but as you become more comfortable as your range expands, you can gradually "fatten" the sound with change of sound to Taaa and even Toooh, reserving Teee for high C and beyond! :)

Good reference books , both Howard Snells "The Trumpet" and "How to Practice"
    Flexibility - Charles Colins Advanced Flexibilities
    Scales - the Arban...
  9. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Go find a good teacher, it's the best way. But here's a tale on the subject.

There was once a young man who wanted to be able to play higher, and for longer, he wrote to Maurice Murphy (I believe) and asked for advice and suggestions, he was sent a hymn book with a simple note that said 8ve up!
  10. What i've been taught that works for me is to fill your lungs, and with plenty of support, put a lot of 'fast' air through when playing. Also, don't put too much pressure on your upper lip, try and ease off a bit and 'equalise' with your lower lip so to speak :)
  11. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

12. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Hmm, you get nothing for nothing. I would be curious at what cost to other aspects of your playing this improved top range affected in such a short time scale.

I must take a look at this method :)
  13. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

To be honest nothing has been sacrificed (did I have a lot to sacrifice in the first place...??).
    This has taught me a method of securing notes to Double High C and above and also stronger pedal notes - neither of which are used much in my everyday playing BUT it has taken away the fear of the high notes which means that "ordinary" upper register playing is much more secure.
  14. RossAB

RossAB Member

With regards to seeing a brass tutor, I do intend on that at some point, but right now time and money is preventing it, so I'm just looking for little tips that could help at least a bit. Will have a look at the methods/links suggested and see what happens!

With regards to fear of high notes, I do wonder if in some ways it is because of the fact that I've always struggled with it, so ended up convincing my self I can't do it, and then I subconsciously back off from it, if that makes any sense at all?
  15. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

That was certainly the case with me....
  16. boourns

boourns Member

I would be quite interested in taking a look at this, but he seems to have made it prohibitively difficult to actually buy a copy.
  17. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

There is only one European dealer, Ko de Rooij, who is located in The Netherlands. He has shipped lots of books to the UK.

To contact him, email to larrios60@hotmail.com
  18. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

The exact opposite of the advice I was given on moving from Eb bass to BBb bass and struggling with my low-range. The hymn book was taken off me and returned with "Sempre 8vb" written on it..... which was good advice though.

That was one Adie Davidson, god rest him.
  19. Peter5

Peter5 New Member