High definition television

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by johnmartin, Apr 29, 2006.

1. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Well, the new HD ready LCD panel gets delivered on Wednesday and I will be looking forward to a highdeforama future for my TV viewing. All I need now is some high def content to show on it.

Anyone else taken the plunge yet?
  2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- what did you buy? (any links?)
  3. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Yep, had a 32" Sharp LCD since December. As yet, not got a HDMI source, but the Prog Scan picture from DVD and SKY+ is pretty darn good! Certainly won't be going down the SKY HD route til the prices drop tho!
  4. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

I have a 42" Phillips Plasma here, not HD, but superb nonetheless...
  5. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

We got our new LCD high definition Pansonic TV just before christmas when our 19 year old grundig finally gave up the ghost! Its big and beautiful.... I don't know how big exactly...... but everyone who's seen it thinks its stupidly big :tongue: and we got sky+ aswell.... and we've never had sky before so it was all very exciting :D

My telly is better than yours :tongue:

6. TheMusicMan

neh neh ne neeeeh neh :) hehehehe

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I have one of those wind-up Panasonic 36" tellies that go as far back as they stretch from side to side .... :redface:
  8. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Got myself the new Toshiba 32WLT66 from John Lewis. Managed to get them to price match at an absolute bargain of £883 for a set that retails at £1200. Two HDMI sockets gives me a bit of future proofing. Can't wait for the Sky HD delivery now.
  9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- smart! :cool: (and good specifications too!). It's amazing how much space tube tellys take up, but mine was quite expensive when bought so I will have to keep drooling at others getting their's before I eventually get one (... I bought a 19" digital TFT LCD recently for this pooter though!).
  10. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Yep, We've had a 42" LG (Phillips) Plasma since Christmas - it's excellent with a great Roland surround sound system.(Bass phenominal but used in a tasteful and balanced way )
    We use it with cable TV but we also have the Freeview facility.
    It is set up for HDTV and we await it's availability.
    I also acquired an LG DVD Player/Recorder which makes a great combination.
    I've wired the cable system throughout the house (Kitchen, bedrooms etc) so everyone is happy (ish)
    - Wilky
  11. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

my telly is prettier than that!
  12. dyl

dyl Active Member

Shows the same rubbish programmes though!
  13. Di

Di Active Member

Quite! How many 100s of chanels on Sky? And we still end up watching re-runs on gold, thats when we can get Adam of Kids TV. No wonder I'm so attached to my computer. ;)
  14. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

I've recently bought a Sony Bravia 32" LCD HD TV and bought a Samsung DVD with HDMI link and it upgrades to HD. When I put Star Wars III on the other day it was superb. Planet Earth also looked great on it (I understand the Beeb recorded it in HD format).

Supposedly, the Beeb will be doing the World Cup in HD but you still need the decoder (i.e. Sky HD) to get the best results. Its too expensive for the mo tho.

15. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

You people should be practicing, not watching Huge TV screens! (Especially you Fi. ;) )

I must admit to being tempted by a TV in a shop the other day. Two Freeview box thingys and a hard drive built in. Amazing what they can do with technology these days! I resisted though.
  16. TheMusicMan

I'm now watchin my kids play some XBox 360 game on it - the combination of picture and graphics on that combi is awesome... :)

Oh, and Rapier.... as for practicing... what's that...;) hehehe
  17. Andy Cooper

Andy Cooper Member

Is it all worth it? As Bruce Springsteen sang "57 Channels and nothing on" !!!
  18. Key2207

Key2207 Member

I feel like i'm well weird after reading about all your posh TVs. We only have normal ones. We don't even have sky we have NTL. I feel like the odd one out :(
  19. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

We got ours (not LCD or plasma) about 5 years ago. unfortunately it took until about 3 years ago 'til programming came in in HD (but it was still well nice for the DVDs).
  20. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

I have a 26" Panasonic LCD HD ready TV and have enquired about getting the HD channels on Sky. It is going to cost another £299 for anew Sky + box plus an extra £10 per month on subscription for about half a dozen channels that are available currently. Think I'll wait a while until the cost of the receivers comes down a bit.