Hidden treasure

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by michellegarbutt, Jul 19, 2005.

1. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

Last night as I was leaving our band room I had a couple of books handed to me. Our treasurer and Librarian had found them while they were tidying the band store cupboard out. I was told they were minute books one from the 30's and one from the 50's. When I got home I started flicking through them and only then did I realise what a treasure I had. The books contained the minutes of every committee meeting from 1933 to 1989. It was fasinating comparing how things had moved on in some areas and how little they had changed in others. what hidden treasures have you found in your bandroom?

2. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

We have loads...including hand written minutes from the very first Wigston's Silver Prize Band (as it was then) meeting in 1902. There is some fascinating reading, like the band used to regularly lend money to it's players...and it was not unsual to do three or four "jobs" in one weekend in the twenties and thirties. We also have a photo of Black Dyke in the mid 1920's after we competed against then in a competition. We have minutes from almost every meeting since the bands begining. The minutes make interesting reading to see how far we have come, and the changing face of banding over the years.

We're really lucky, as our founder, Charles Moore also went on to found a number of Leicestershire Bands (including Kibworth who are celebrating their centinery this year) so we have all sorts of stuff from lots of local bands.

3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I found a ten bob note in a music pad box (... yes, these boxes existed before binders!) in 1979! Out of circulation, but a player still claimed it!

4. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

In our Centenary Year (1987) I was fortunate to have a read through our old minute books which went back to the 1920s. Some very interesting stuff in the 20's around the General Strike - not specific but reading between the lines the band had some friction (and a punch-up) over opposing views. The band, although based in a two-mine community, has never been affiliated to the miners union but clearly it had a number of players who worked there.

Lots of good stuff about the purchase of instruments and bills for a set of Guards Red Melton cloth uniforms.

Regretably when our band secretary died some years ago his wife through-out these books and never even thought of offering them back to the band :mad: .

Just as a separate point how many bands now produce their committee minutes on computer? Will this information still be around in 50+ years or will it all get left on old/unworkable computers and not be available in the way that old minutes books are?

5. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

At home, we have to books with AGM minutes and cash registers dating back to when our band was started, in 1862. Fascinating stuff, but unfortunately quite difficult to read. Back then the musicians had to rehearse by candlelight, standing up and "bare headed" :)