Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Paddy1984, May 31, 2009.

1. Paddy1984

Paddy1984 New Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to tmp so a big hello. I've obviously not been looking hard enough for the site! :)

I'm 25 from Motherwell in Scotland and play with Motherwell Salvation Army band. I'm being moved onto baritone at the moment as the band has turned top heavy so will probably be needing some advice soon!

Looking forward to getting to know you all,

2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Hi Gordon, and welcome to tMP ;)

You'll find everyone on here is quite friendly and helpful, and we'll look forward to reading your posts in the coming days.
  3. Paddy1984

Paddy1984 New Member

Thanks for the kind welcome!
  4. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

Good evening Gordon - delighted another fellow Scot has joined the clan...! Keep it hush, but it looks like the take-over bid is working and it'll soon be a total Jock domination of the site...! No wall is tall enough...!
  5. Paddy1984

Paddy1984 New Member

Don't let the secret out! ;)
  6. halsasaurus

halsasaurus Member

you make playing baritone sound like some sort of punishment

7. Paddy1984

Paddy1984 New Member

Ha! My bad. I'm really enjoying playing the bari. Sometimes while playing the top cornet parts you can forget ow important the bari and other parts are.

8. halsasaurus

halsasaurus Member

Its a top instrument and can support all sections of the band at one time or another in different pieces. Some of the older ones really use the baritones. We played Les Preludes the other night and the baritone parts were very demanding
  9. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

10. weesilvie

weesilvie New Member

Hi Gordon
    I'm new here too, and not far away from you - in Airdrie.
    I don't currently play in a brass band but have played with Bellshill Concert Brass - a very small, non-contesting band.
  11. Paddy1984

Paddy1984 New Member

I've heard about the band. I believe two of the band members at the SA Band I play with have practiced a few times with Bellshill Concert Band.
  12. weesilvie

weesilvie New Member

They are very small, about 10 players on a good day - but they're really friendly and always welcome 'extras'. I'm not into contesting so they suited me.