Hi, returning to the world of Brass

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by GrowlingDog, Dec 28, 2017.

1. GrowlingDog

GrowlingDog New Member

It's been a long time since I played a Brass instrument.

I initially learnt at school on the Tenor Horn which I played in the school band, then I switched to Cornet for a marching band and also played Euphonium in the school band as there was a vacancy on Euphonium and it was a but different to Cornet.

That was about 25 years ago.

I have recently been rediscovering my youth a bit and decided I would get an instrument to get back into Brass. I picked up an almost immaculate Siver plated Besseon BE622 Cornet. Really enjoying playing at, I'm starting to get some range back as well, just found top G again after a few weeks.

The cornet does seem to tarnish very quickly, I seem to be forever cleaning it. I will go searching the forum for hints and tips in instrument cleaning.

Looking forward to finding my way around the forum and learning plenty of things I never knew before.

Steve

refman8 likes this.
  2. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

Have you rejoined a band Steve?

Enjoy the forum and you'll probably learn some things you wish you hadn't! Not everything is deadly serious especially when it comes to Baritone bashing (we all love baritone players really and bands wouldn't be the same without them).

3. GrowlingDog

GrowlingDog New Member

I haven't joined a band yet. I might join one just need to find the right band for me. I am a Church Organist so have certain regular commitments that take priority so wouldn't be able to commit to any band that needed me to be available on many Sundays.

4. Mesmerist

Will you want to Contest or will you start with something less aggressive?

5. GrowlingDog

GrowlingDog New Member

In think something less aggressive. We have a couple of local non competing bands that I am aware of. One comes and plays for our village Remembrance Service and Christmas Tree lighting, only a small band. I need to find out some more about them. I don't want to over commit and then let people down. I am also a carer for my wife who has Renal failure, I am responsible for doing her dialysis 4 times a week, with that and the church organ I need to make sure I don't take too much on. I'd love to play in a band, but I'll only do it if it fits and I can commit to it.

6. Repman

Repman New Member

Welcome back, seems a lot of people pick it up again after long breaks. I joined a local non contesting band who only practice once a week and it's working well for me. getting used to listening to others whilst playing is something I found very useful.

7. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

Don't restrict yourself to just brass bands, also try your local concert band they tend not to have a restriction on numbers so will be more accommodating when you have to. Miss for your other commitments!

8. julian

julian Active Member

Hi Steve, welcome back to brass playing! If you can find a band or other group to play with, I would certainly recommend it. Solo playing is very enjoyable, but for me, at least, being part of a band hikes it up to another level.
    Enjoy!!

Slider1 likes this.
  9. Mesmerist

I wouldn't practice very much without having bandmates.

Slider1 likes this.