Hi from France, used to play in Newark town band

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by FrenchyCornet, Mar 26, 2009.

1. FrenchyCornet

FrenchyCornet New Member

First of all, as you may have seen in this psot title, I'm French, so my English might not always be correct, but I hope it should be understandable :)
  2. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hiya - yep, your English is perfect, and welcome to tMP :hi

Do you play with a band in France now?
  3. FrenchyCornet

FrenchyCornet New Member

Hi !

I've started brass playing when I was 6 in a french ensemble called Batterie Fanfare (BF). For those who don't know what a BF is, I'll try to explain it briefly.
    A Batterie Fanfare is a natural brass band. It means that most of the instruments haven't got valves. In a BF there are trompettes Eb (trumpets - no valves), clairons Bb (a kind of valveless cornet), cors Eb (a kind of valveless horn, a bit like the hunting horn but a lot much mellower, warmer), trompettes basses Eb (bass trumpet), clairons basses Bb, euphoniums Bb, tubas, sometimes bass guitars, and drums. This kind of bands used to play mostly for small town fairs but now the repertoire is a lot more modern and complex. A BF now plays jazz, classical, movie themes,...
    I can play more or less all the brass i've talked about but I'm specialized in Cor Eb.
    The reason why I'm here is that I came in UK in september 2006. I arrived in Newark (Notts) to study guitar making. As soon as I've been aware that there was a brass band I've been really happy. Brass bands are part of the UK identity. So I went to see them and directly appreciated their music and found all of them very nice. So they lend me a cornet and I became a 2nd cornet player in Newark Town Band. What a privilege fopr me the little frenchy :) I stayed there for 2 years and unfortunately for a lack of time i leaved the band after a year. But i definitly enjoyed this year.
    I've been specialy amazed by 2 guys in the band : the conductor called Peter (I don't remember his last name) who was such a nice man, very skillful and a very nice cornetist. Then the second one is on this forum and is called Chris Hart. The cornet soloist of the band is the best cornet player I've been offered to play with. This guy as such a sense of harmony, feeling,... Chris, if you read it I'm really happy to get back in touch with you ;)
    So now I'm back in France. I make guitars but haven't much time to play in a band. However I'm looking forward to buy a cornet on ebay uk because I'm missing it.
    I'm sure I'll enjoy this forum.

Florian THOMAS
  4. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

Bienvenue Florian...! :hi
  5. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

Hello Florian!!!

long time no see my friend!

thankyou for your kind comments - I've gone all red :oops:
  6. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Hi Florian, nice to see such warm comments about Chris and the good time you had playing with an English brass band. I shall be whizzing through France next week en-route to Spain, your mastery of the English language really puts me to shame!

I look forward to reading your contributions to the forum.

PS watch out for a strange version of English (BBMish) seen on here occasionally, it can be confusing :D
  7. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

Bonjour Florian
    Welcome to tmp and I hope you have lots of fun
    Just go with the Flo
  8. grausue

grausue Member

Hi Florian,

Lovely to see you on tmp all the way from France. Very nice to see such nice comments about Chris. If you are ever visiting in the area again, be sure to stop off and see Chris in Foss Dyke band, we'd all love to see you.

Sue Grau
  9. tonygee

tonygee New Member

Thanks for your interesting note about the 'pure brass' ensemble background in France and also nice to hear your good experience in the UK ..... ever thought of starting a band in France?
  10. FrenchyCornet

FrenchyCornet New Member

i'd like to, but my guitar making job doesn't leave me enough time to carry a band creation
  11. Question about instruments

I was fascinated by the description of the instruments in the brass group, but did you mean that no instruments in the group have valves? I was in Lyon twice, and wanted to find something like this, but i did not.
  12. FrenchyCornet

FrenchyCornet New Member

Yes, except euphonium and tubas, all the other instruments don't have valves.
    Have a look there, I opened a thread about Batterie Fanfare http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=36993
  13. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Only just seen this. Welcom Florian to these boards. have a great time!!

Good to see more from our friends on the continent.
  14. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

Hi Florian, and welcome to tMP.

:hi, :hi

Best wishes,