Hi Folks

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by hicks, Jan 6, 2008.

1. hicks

hicks Member

Greetings, and happy new year to everyone.
    I'm a trombonist, living in Wiltshire. I play in a local wind band, which I've been a member of for about 10 years (just realised it's been that long!). My enthusiasm for playing has recently been revitalised after I purchased a new instrument to replace my aging (but good) King 3B. I went for a Yamaha Xeno, and I must say it's made a huge difference to my playing standard. Not least because I'm encouraged to practice a lot more. I've also branched out a little with my music making, having played recently with a local brass band (Aldbourne). I have a history with brass bands, coming originally from West Yorkshire, but got a little disillusioned with the contesting scene. However Aldbourne is probably the best band I've played with, and recent contesting success has rekindled my passion for brass band music.
  2. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

Hi Hicks and welcome...
    Are you a ful-time member of Aldbourne? I believe they are a quality outfit and I have a CD of them somewhere! Did you ever play for a band in Yorkshire?
  3. hicks

hicks Member

Thanks for the welcome tpcornet12.
    I'm not technically a full time member of Aldbourne, but really enjoying the quality of music there. It's really nice to play test pieces which I've listened to many times and for them to actually sound like the recordings!
    I'm really looking forward to the area contest, for which the test piece is "Festival Music".

In my youth I played for a few bands in Yorkshire, including Knottingley Silver (my home town). Although they weren't nearly as good in those days as they have been in recent years.