Hi everyone

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by sexywelshsop, Oct 18, 2005.

1. sexywelshsop

sexywelshsop New Member

HELLO! Hi my name is gemma im 18 and i live in South Wales.I have been playing for twelve years now and moved onto soprano cornet 4 years ago and i absolutely love it. However being so young, female and on this kind of instrument im always subjected to the stereotypical view that only "mature" men can play eb soprano cornet well il prove you all wrong!lol i currently play for a good 1st section band called Pontardulais brass band or the "Bont" and one day hope to go back to England and play for some fantastic Championship section band. Dont let my age or gender fool you because all i can do is improve. speak 2 u all soon xxxxxxxxxxxxx:tongue:
  2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Hi there - good to have you on board.

Young or old, we all have much to offer to one another, and I seem to recall another female sop player with a band not that far away from you who can play a bit ;)

3. sexywelshsop

sexywelshsop New Member

who is this other female sop then?? who does she play for then??? x:tongue:
  4. HBB

HBB Active Member

Hah! I almost told you! There I was thinking you were being serious!! (Michelle Ibbotson, BAYV)
  5. nicola

nicola New Member

Hi gemma!

I am a percussionist who lives very close to where Bont Band reherse, infact i am there every wednesday and Sunday! Do i know you?:dunno
  6. Melph

Melph Member

Welcome ot tMP.

Having formely played the Sop, I can not understand anybody who derives any form of enjoyment from playing this instrument! If you do, I salute you!

I kind of think that the devil himself had a hand in the design of the Sop!
  7. Matt Lawson

Matt Lawson Member

Ya know, I was actually going to take up the sop before I chose a cornet.

It's just the whole idea of being higher than everyone else and on my own that put me off a tad.

Still, wouldn't mind giving it a go one day.
  8. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hi Gemma... nice to see some more local to me folk joining in with the discussions here on tMP. Hope things continue to go well for you at the Bont:)
  9. brownrob

brownrob Member

I dunno, I love playing the soprano, sure its harder than the Bb, a robin reliant is easier to tune and your on your own but thats half the fun :confused: but i dunno, when im 30 (long time away yet!) i may feel differently!
  10. Hornblower RN

Hornblower RN Member

Well there's Jayne Thomas who plays in Burry Port for starters ........oh and Michelle Ibbotson with BAYV .....I'm sure there are others. Great instrument......I played it for over 20 years before moving over to flugel