Hi All

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Clyde Slider, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Clyde Slider

Clyde Slider Member

Well, here goes - a self-introduction from an old bloke who plays trombone (for my own enjoyment - not sure about anyone else's!)

Despite my site"name", I have nothing to do with Scotland. The name comes from a trombone solo played by Crystal Palace Band on Bank Holiday Monday, 1938 I think it was. Not that I was there, but my parents did much of their courting there, and I recently found the programme for the events of the day, and the piece caught my imgination. The programme in question now resides in the archive of Crystal Palace band, and can be seen on their website archive section. After a bit of research on the 'net, I found the music for the solo in the library of Lympstone SWT band, and, with the help of Bryony Snell, they were kind enough to allow me to purchase it from them. Not played it yet, but will have a go as and when time allows!

Although I now live in Verwood, I do not play with the fast improving Verwood Concert Brass - far too good for me - I will leave all the clever stuff to my son (euph) and duaghter in law (cornet). Quite happy to help out with the training band, which my son conducts, and play also with the Ringwood and Burley Band, who have made me feel very welcome since joining them a couple of months ago.

As a tMP newbie, I am looking forward to exchanging views, information and hopefully a few laughs with fellow banders. Thanks for reading this far!
  2. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to tMP! I'm sure you'll get the hang of what to do and where to find stuff, but any questions, don't be afraid to ask. There's usually a moderator around that you can ask. :)
  3. catkin

catkin New Member

Hi, I play 3rd cornet for Wantage Silver B. My parents in law used to live in Ringwood a few years ago, nice area, now back in Wantage. Good luck finding your way around, there's loads of info on here and it's great for any help you need, see you around then, Catkin!
  4. Clyde Slider

Clyde Slider Member

Another "adult entry" to the banding world then - I only started when my son began lessons. I was 39 then, far too late really, but we have had so much fun over the last twenty-odd years, and covered a few miles as well!! Thank you for the reply, Ringwood and Burley band practice on a Friday if you're ever around this way.
  5. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

Welcome to tMP! :)
  6. BryonySnell

BryonySnell Member

Thought I recognised the name :biggrin:

Have you not had a go at it yet?!! It did look quite tricky though!
  7. Clyde Slider

Clyde Slider Member

Thank you, good to be here!
  8. Clyde Slider

Clyde Slider Member

Hello again Bryony, good to hear from you! As you will have noticed, we have moved house since we last corresponded, so there's not been a lot of time to get stuck in to a new, quite difficult-looking piece. That's my excuse anyway :rolleyes:. I will though, don't worry, and I'll let you know the outcome!!

Congratulations on your recent good result at Torquay - well done!
  9. catkin

catkin New Member

For some reason Wantage seems to have a mass of people who want to join, we have loads of beginners both children and adults!! Bit odd as a lot of bands seem to struggle to get bums on seats! We're very lucky, we have 2 training bands, a youth band, a concert band, B band and an A band! Some people play in 2 bands, partiularly the kids, but I haven't heard of any other bands that have a problem with so many people joining!! I know Aldbourne (about 25miles away) are trying to start a youth band and they were struggling to get enough interest-really weird but good!!
  10. Clyde Slider

Clyde Slider Member

Although you say you are "lucky", I suspect your success is more likely to be down to the hard work and dedication of the people at the centre of your organisation. You are all to be congratulated - your set-up is an example to all of us. :clap::clap::clap: Long may your bands continue.
  11. BryonySnell

BryonySnell Member

Thanks we were rather pleased!! :biggrin:
  12. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

Hello Clyde Slider, glad you finally stopped "lurking" and joined up! You should have stayed last night as Fishy was away so you could have enjoyed the Golland Christmas Overture again. MD sang your part so trust me it would have been much better if you stayed... Actually I had a word in his good ear and requested that solo. You will be performing it on the 20th December in the Matinee concert at the Hub...

only joking - I`m not THAT mean
  13. Clyde Slider

Clyde Slider Member

Thank you so much Mesmerist flugel player!!! I don't do Golland or solo's - not any more any way!!!!