Hey there!!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Shanetrog, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Shanetrog

Shanetrog New Member

Hi all
    I'm very new to the forum but not to banding. After a break of 8 years I'm back and playing. As a Bb bass player, I seem to find that we're all in high demand at the moment and i now play with the Cheshire Police Band. A cracking bunch of people and a warm welcome from everybody.
    Oh, and my first piece of music played after 8 years? A test piece. Bring on Blackpool.

Thanks to all and be gentle with me on here

2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Welcome, Shane, from a fellow bass-player - we're pretty well represented here!

Feel free to chip in with your comments, and you'll find we're quite friendly really.
  3. featherlight

featherlight New Member

Sorry to hijack your thread but I would also like to say hello. Played tenor horn as a kid/youff then had a 20 year gap. Started again on flugel - any previous signs of an embouchure completely gone - so a total beginner. That was three years ago. I am completely isolated having no access to a band, a teacher or anyone to play along with. Sob. Just the way it is for now. I fear I will have fallen into all the bad habits of the self-taught. Three years on and having practiced faithfully most days I feel like I should be better than I am. Still fluffing notes below the staff and anything above a middle D is thin and whispy... and hard to get!

So where on this forum is there any info about playing technique, embouchure, articulation, etc. ?
  4. CornetJem

CornetJem Member

Welcome! Is it difficult to get back into playing after a long break or is it easy to pick it up again?
  5. Shanetrog

Shanetrog New Member

It's not been a problem. The md of the band has been so understanding and I put a lot of work in initially getting my lip back in. Two to three hours a day of practicing. I still do that now, 9 months on. The only issue I'm having is that I don't have the lung capacity and breathe that I used to as a younger player, but I put that down to age and the long break.
  6. jamieow

jamieow Member

Shane - I'm pretty sure you played BBb for Rhos band when I was about 14 on EEb - 1996 Finals in Cardiff where we came 2nd to Berisfords?
    Have I got the right person?