Hey there!!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Shanetrog, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Shanetrog

Shanetrog New Member

Hi all
    I'm very new to the forum but not to banding. After a break of 8 years I'm back and playing. As a Bb bass player, I seem to find that we're all in high demand at the moment and i now play with the Cheshire Police Band. A cracking bunch of people and a warm welcome from everybody.
    Oh, and my first piece of music played after 8 years? A test piece. Bring on Blackpool.

Thanks to all and be gentle with me on here

Shane

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Hi allI
    Bb
    everybody.Oh
    Blackpool.Thanks
    Cheshire Police Band
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Welcome, Shane, from a fellow bass-player - we're pretty well represented here!

Feel free to chip in with your comments, and you'll find we're quite friendly really.

4. featherlight

featherlight New Member

Sorry to hijack your thread but I would also like to say hello. Played tenor horn as a kid/youff then had a 20 year gap. Started again on flugel - any previous signs of an embouchure completely gone - so a total beginner. That was three years ago. I am completely isolated having no access to a band, a teacher or anyone to play along with. Sob. Just the way it is for now. I fear I will have fallen into all the bad habits of the self-taught. Three years on and having practiced faithfully most days I feel like I should be better than I am. Still fluffing notes below the staff and anything above a middle D is thin and whispy... and hard to get!

So where on this forum is there any info about playing technique, embouchure, articulation, etc. ?

5. CornetJem

CornetJem Member

Welcome! Is it difficult to get back into playing after a long break or is it easy to pick it up again?

6. Shanetrog

Shanetrog New Member

It's not been a problem. The md of the band has been so understanding and I put a lot of work in initially getting my lip back in. Two to three hours a day of practicing. I still do that now, 9 months on. The only issue I'm having is that I don't have the lung capacity and breathe that I used to as a younger player, but I put that down to age and the long break.

7. jamieow

jamieow Member

Shane - I'm pretty sure you played BBb for Rhos band when I was about 14 on EEb - 1996 Finals in Cardiff where we came 2nd to Berisfords?
    Have I got the right person?