Here's a question!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by 2nd man down, Jan 22, 2005.

1. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

How loyal are you?

If another band comes in for you and asks you to join them...do you consider it...would you move to another band just because they were better than yours...or do you love your band so much no-one could drag you away?

I love playing with my band...We might not be the most gifted musicians in the country (and I'm sure none of them will mind me saying that) but we don't half have a laugh and a good time.
    I don't think there's a band in the country I'd rather play for. :-D

2. dyl

dyl Active Member

Completely agree with you Crawford. If only the three band members who've left us since Christmas felt the same. Mind you, we are now left with players who are 100% committed to the band - and we are all looking forward - and are confident of doing a great job at the Areas - if only to prove to those who've left us what they're missing.

3. skweeky

skweeky Member

no-one could pull me away! unless black dyke are reading this then my phone number is....:rolleyes:

4. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

I wuldnt ever hav that problem no other band wuld want me im ****

5. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

Wild horses couldnt drag me away! we have a great bunch of musicains, and a great MD, what more could iu want???!!!!!

6. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

If I wasn't playing with my current band, I wouldn't play in brass bands at all. I am also very lucky that we are one of the best bands in this country. The only way I would join another band is if a good UK band rang me up to play!

7. impycornet

impycornet Member

Surely the commuting would get you down after a few weeks ??

8. rutty

rutty Active Member

I play in a band where I love the social aspect and we've had some success at contesting. A nice mix of ambition and hobby. I'm more than happy to dep for other bands but I wouldn't consider leaving even to go to a higher section :)

9. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

I loooove my band too much!! no-one could possibly drag me away!! We have too much of a laugh and it's great! :D

10. Lil Miss

Lil Miss Active Member

My band is the greatest. We are a very young band, (youngest i think is like 10yrs old) and considering the amount of players that left, and all the new members we've managed to find, i think we are doing a darn good job. We are even going to nationals, which I think is fantastic. As much as people have suggested that I should join another band, i can't because I'm not going to give up on them, as others have done so already.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    :-D
    country
    laugh
    good time
    gifted musicians
  12. kate_the_horn

kate_the_horn New Member

i love mine too much!

i cud help another band out, but that would be minimal!

kel x

13. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

I think it depends on a few factors
    Are you happy with the band you are in, are you singing off the same hymn sheet as they are?
    Would you moving to another band enhance or improve your hobby?
    Would moving to another band enable you to improve and thus get more out of your enjoyment of playing?

I think if you are happy with the band you are in then stick there. I don't think that someone in a championship section band is necessarily getting a better deal than someone in the 4th section just because the standard of playing is higher.

14. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Wise words Mr. Taylor!

15. IckleSop

IckleSop Active Member

Playing with a band that you enjoy playing with is very important!! ive met some amazing people in banding and see how much they enjoy banding just because they have a crazy social side!!!!, it depends what you are looking for. i love my band to:)

16. six pints

six pints Active Member

i spend £10 on train fares everytime i go to a rehearsal which is at least once a week, ive rearranged my uni timetable as much as possible to be able to do it, and ive not been to a single mega formal yet this year :( yet i still wouldnt want to go to another band even a closer one! plus my band are used to me and accepted my complete madness!

17. SuperHorn

SuperHorn Member

I've contested since I was eight, 23 years later I'm still with the same band (apart from one year out - P***ed off with banding)

It's very important to stick together - our band grew from the depths of the fourth section to championship status within 10 ten years because we did everything together - social evenings, walking around in big groups at contests and of course band songs on the way home.

I never thought I would play a the RAH or tour countries like Thailand & Singapore (Desford)Norway (NYBBW) to name a few.

Bands are made on loyalty and the grooming home grown talent.

There's still a 15 player nucleus (Old Junior Band) within Cwmaman from the original band that started 18 years ago.

I think Beaumaris have a great set up and groom home grown talent, an example for all to follow.

18. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Well, there's only one brass band on the Isle of Arran.... :)

19. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

I spose that limits your choices.............................

Makes you the best band around though........................ ;)

20. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

I'm very loyal to my band!! I was taught by our current conductor (who joined the band 38 years ago on 3rd cornet! :shock:) and have stayed with the band for 10 years. I'd feel so guilty of I left!! I might be going off to uni in September though, so I'll have to "leave" (I prefer to say "having lots of holidays") during term time. :-( I'll definitely be back for all the Summer and Christmas concerts though! :D

21. dyl

dyl Active Member

.....and on the opposite of the scale, makes you the worst as well! ;)

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    :-D
    country
    laugh
    good time
    gifted musicians