Hepworth Band - 'Music from Stage & Screen'

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by hoppiebari, Jan 16, 2011.

1. hoppiebari

hoppiebari Member

Hepworth band opens its 2011 series of themed concerts by presenting ‘Music from Stage & Screen’ at St Paul’s Hall, Huddersfield, on Sunday 6th February at 7pm.

The concert will feature a programme of film and show blockbusters, with music from ‘the Lord of the Rings’, ‘Star Wars’, ‘Jurassic Park’, ‘the Lion King’, ‘the Wizard of Oz’, ‘West Side Story’ together with epic themes from prolific composers for stage and screen.

Tickets cost £6, (complimentary for subscribers) and are available from Wm Sykes & Sons Estate Agents, Holmfirth, the White Horse Inn, Jackson Bridge and from Kirklees booking offices (01484 223200 or book online at www.kirklees.gov.uk/townhalls)
  2. critic

critic Member

If its as good as the other concerts from this band it should e a cracker
  3. Simon Preshom

Simon Preshom Member

Astonishing bias. A little like writing a review of your own band's concert then sending it to 4barsrest.........oh, you did that too :-?

5. DannyCollin

DannyCollin Member

Simon, knowing critic as i do, if you asked him to review one of your bands concerts and stick it on 4br, he'd be only too delighted to do so.
  6. Simon Preshom

Simon Preshom Member

Thanks, but that really wasn't the point I was making.
  7. DannyCollin

DannyCollin Member

so what was the point then?
  8. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Simon, If I remember the review in question correctly, It was actually Tony Tuba who posted it on here and sent it to 4BR. And yes, he plays for Hepworth, and yes it was a review of a Hepworth concert.

But it was I who wrote the review, not any member of the Hepworth band. They merely posted it.

And, as is the case with Critic, I'll happily come and review any of your concerts if you like....
  9. defnotsimon

defnotsimon Member

Whats wrong with a little bit of self publicity? Never be afraid to blow your own horn!
  10. Simon Preshom

Simon Preshom Member

Thirteen Ball - the review I am referring to was written by Dave Tinker (aka critic) in December. Not trying to stir up a hornet's nest, just merely making remark about the fact that a member of Hepworth's committee submits a critique of his own bands concert.

Even with the very best of intentions, and as nice as Dave is, can a member of band's management team be truly impartial when writing a review? If there was some dodgy tuning, nervy playing, a piece that didn't quite work etc, is he really going to say it about his own band, when he would almost certainly write it about another band's performance.

My suggestion (which I am sure will be ignored or scoffed at) would be for Dave Tinker to put Dave Tinker - Member of Hepworth Band Committee at the bottom of his reviews of future Hepworth concerts. This will allow the reader, who doesn't necessarily associate Dave with the band, to read the review within it's proper context.

This is not an attack on Dave or the band.
  11. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Must be thinking of another concert then. I just recall a very similar point being raised (inaccurately) when I reviewed Hepworth's 'Night at the classics' concert a year or so ago. I tried to clear that one up at the time, but I thought it possible you may still have been be labouring under a misapprehension from that occasion. However you've made it clear you mean a separate occasion.

It's my experience that those of us associated with a specific band are often quicker to criticise our own performances than independant listeners, because we know the strengths and weaknesses of our own players - but I suppose there must be examples of the opposite being true as well.
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  12. Simon Preshom

Simon Preshom Member

Thanks Andi.

My hope is that if people can step back from the 'leave my mate alone' or 'I know someone in that band, and they're dead nice' attitude, and look at this objectively, they will see a genuine point is being made about journalism and the need for clarity, rather than seeing it as someone being 'slagged off'.
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  13. Simon Preshom

Simon Preshom Member

Granted, but it would be another thing to write it in a review and send it in for publication.