Henry Wood Promenade Concerts - Poll

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Brian Bowen, Jul 28, 2004.

?

Have you attended or listened to the Proms?

1. Attended regularly

70.6%
  2. Attended infrequently

11.8%
  3. Listened on the radio or Internet

5.9%
  4. Never attended or listened on radio

5.9%
  5. I plan to do so

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Not interested

5.9%
  1. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

Concern has been expressed by a number of banders that brass bands are not included in the Henry Wood Promenade Concerts this year -- or in past years.

It might be enlightening to see how many on tMP have actually attended the proms (or plan to do so this year) or make a habit of listening on the radio/Internet.

2. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I have attended infrequently and listened on the radio regularly (when possible) and watched on the telly!

Despite the fact that (never mind the brass band issue) it's becoming more and more like a Classic FM Live festival.

3. Jules Cornet

Jules Cornet Member

I will be going this Saturday. The late night prom starring Wynton Marsalis!!!!

Can't wait! (Almost can't sleep thinking about it!)

Jules Cornet

4. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Add to that, the BBCSO are becoming a bit of an embarrassment at times. Certainly some of their performances last year and their rendition of The Planets at this year's First Night have ranged from average at best to awful at worst. Leonard Slatkin's fault? Don't know, but a lot of people seem to think so!

Still, the Marsalis is a highlight! ;-)

5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I'll be listening to quite a few in the afternoon "repeat slot", and will attend one definite (David Childs on 2nd Sept) and one possible (Rheingold). I must say that I was not particularly impressed with the programme this year, either the new commissions or the themes running through the season.

6. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I watch them whenever they're on TV, but not having freeview in my scabby rented house, I can't watch the ones on BBC 4... Well, I'm sure my family will enjoy it when I hog their fancy TV for a few nights...

7. Ross Berry

Ross Berry Member

I will be there too and am really looking forward to it. I don't think that I am as excited about it as you are though!

8. Highams

Highams Member

Yes the BBCSO were very poor I thought, not only in the Planets but also in the Bach Fugue that was all over the place, added to that the dreadful camera work and you find yourself channel-hopping within minutes.

If that's not bad enough, on the Nation's Fav.Prom they used that awful limiter on the recording levels!

www.euph9.freeserve.co.uk

9. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

they should get the bbcphil doing more. they get the odd few, but i reckon they are among the top couple of orchestras in britain at the moment, and certainly knock spots off the other beeb orchestra

10. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

I wouldn't say the BBCSO are an embarrassment, although sometimes one gets the impression of arrogance - which is understandable, given that they are the house orchestra. They really ought to smile a bit more.

Leonard Slatkin has had his moments - over the past five years, I can recall a fine Sea Symphony (which I can pinpoint, for obvious reasons, as Monday 10th September 2001); a great reading of Shostakovich 8 a couple of seasons ago; and just last week, an exhilirating version of the Alpine Symphony, with the brass in good form. Slatkin is off at the end of the year, but no successor announced as yet.

I'm off to the Proms on a weekend pass this weekend (amazing value - £18 for five concerts, including the Bavarian SRO/Maris Jansons, Wynton Marsalis, Britten's War Requiem and a concert version of Tavener's all-nighter, pared down to a mere 3 hours! And no interval!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Poll
    Henry Wood Promenade Concerts
    number
    banders
    many
  12. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

I'm a regular attender - not as much as when I used to live in London - in those days I managed up to thirty concerts per season. But this year I've managed to get to one so far, and have weekend passes for the coming weekend and weekend 8 (a real barnstormer - Dresden/Haitink, Berlin/Rattle, playing Beethoven, Bartok, Haydn, Bruckner and Schoenberg - and all for £14!!)

Otherwise, it's the radio on every evening that I'm at home.

13. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

In fairness, as Jim said, the orchestra's playing on the Strauss "Alpine Symphony" last week was pretty good; not sure about Slatkin's interpretation though: seemed as though he had a train to catch. Rather than being a musical representation of an epic adventure climbing a great mountain, it put me more in mind of a whistle-stop couch tour of the Dolomites with an impatient tour guide...................

14. Giohorn

Giohorn New Member

I have attended several Proms in the past but recently I have been too busy playing or just not fancied much of the programes.

I used to drive down and park right outside the hall, enjoy a great concert (only listen to the programes that I know) and then walk past the Queens Muse and get a curry!! What a night :lol:

I must admit I was rather disapointed with the BBCSO rendition of The Planets, there was some very poor playing, and the Bach was even worst. The Elgar was the best I felt and maybe not so well known by the performers that night so the concentration level was higher?

Interesting part of the broadcast about the Albert Hall Organ! :shock:

I may try to get tickets for this Saturdays Prom as I am a big fan of Wynton........I'll get on the phone right away!

Giohorn

Solo Horn, Ransomes