Hendon Highlights?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Parp, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Parp

Parp Member

Hello all, anybody going to the Hendon Highlights concert on Saturday evening at the Royal Festival Hall in London?

Also, does anyone know what the ISB and Hendon will be playing - or will I just need to contain my excitement and wait until I get there?!
  2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

jmb83 and I will be there - no programme info, but I was checking the Royal Festival Hall website on Monday and, contrary to some stories going round, there are still plenty of seats available. Front stalls are virtually sold out, but there are seats in the rear stalls and balcony for what should be a good evening.
  3. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

I heard Hendon were doing 'My Strength, My Tower' by Sir Dean Goffin. Perhaps the ISB will air their new commission from Kevin Norbury? I gather there will be the return of massed bands format in the second half.
  4. Parp

Parp Member

Yep, I bought my tickets in the rear stalls yesterday - going over there at lunchtime to pick them up (just in case!). There were a couple of seats in the front stalls still available but I don't think would have been great for the sound (sitting quite far to the left, behind the cornets probably). There were a few more available elsewhere in the auditorium.

I hope Hendon play My Strength, My Tower - one of my favourite pieces and hearing such a big band with those first two chords.....
  5. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

Hendon are doing 'My Strength, My Tower' and 'Celebration'. I've also heard that David Daws is playing a solo. The ISB are doing 'Glorifico Aeternum' and 'On Ratcliff Highway'.
    The massed band second half will include 'The Call of the Righteous', 'Shine as the Light' and 'From This Sacred Hill' plus a euphonium solo from Derick Kane called Canaan's Land.
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2005
  6. PeterBale

Any guest conductor this year, or is Stephen doing the lot?
  7. Parp

Parp Member

Well, that sounds like an excellent programme to me and I'm rather looking forward to it!
  8. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

We'll have an SP&S trade stand at the event.
    It will be in the Royal Festival Hall foyer to the right hand side of the stairs
    overlooking the Ballroom.

The new CD from Hendon Band a walk on the light side will be launched at this event. (When you see the cover, you'll see why I've typed the title in lower case here!)
    The CD will be on the WoB site tonight and I'll do a proper posting for it on tMP in the Professional Traders section tomorrow.
  9. Parp

Parp Member

Maybe it's too early in the morning but I still can't see why it's in lower case! I think I need someone wiser to explain it to me.

Looks like a good CD though. I see they play Go Down Moses which is a great piece but seldom heard. I'm looking forward to hearing a good quality recording of it because I only have a live recording of Cambridge Heath Band playing it in 1973 (my grandad recorded it and it's jolly good - especially the bass trombone and solo cornet) and I also have part of the 78rpm disc they did in the 50s or 60s. Parts 1 and 2 were on one disc and part 3 was on another disc along with another piece. I couldn't find part 3 though. I can't remember who played it - I think it was Tottenham Citadel Band.
  10. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

The one on this CD is not the Ray Steadman-Allen Go Down Moses that you talk about, I'm afraid.
    It is the swing/jazz style version by Len Ballantine.
    Our webmaster has posted the track list without composer names and soloist details so I'll get that changed.
  11. Parp

Parp Member

Shame, but never mind. I'll still end up buying the CD.
  12. Jules Cornet

Jules Cornet Member

Hendon Highlights

So who went and what did you think of the evening?

Jules Cornet
  13. DonnieB

DonnieB New Member

Well ISB sounded amazing in glorifico Aeternum, and the Kings's Singers were stunning, My Strength My tower was good, but didn't like the Ray Steadman-Allan piece, David daws was as ever, very good. Nnot sure about giving steve cobb a standing ovation, surely that should be a spontaneous response from the audience not something that the compere asks for, anyway enjoyable overall, but could have been a whole lot more entertaining. It is interesting to note as someone who has been on both sides of the banding world, the level of deportment from Salvation Army bands far outstrips that of non SA ones
  14. Parp

Parp Member

Yep, agree with most of that except the Steadman-Allen piece which I really enjoyed and think the ISB performed superbly. Glorifico Aeternum was ruined somewhat for me by a bunch of latecomers coming in and then having a conference about where to sit - thankfully they were able to shout loud enough to hear themselves over the band. I just about managed to remain calm... It's a shame really as it's one of my faviourite pieces.

It was interesting to note that the ISB, despite being half the size of Hendon were much more powerful, but I was also very impressed by Hendon band being a very tight band despite their size (I counted 18 cornets and 6 basses!).

Surprisingly the massed bands didn't do very much for me and I would have preferred more of the single band pieces. Both soloists were excellent but I didn't really like the cornet solo - it didn't make any sense to me.

I was also a little bit disappointed with the audience - when someone's mute fell out during one of pieces (inevitably it was one of quietest parts of the piece!) there were lots of oohs and aahs which weren't really necessary. These things happen and there's no need to make a big deal of it - just sit back and enjoy the music.

However, I think my highlight was the final part of the Kings Singers third appearance. I don't know the name of the song but their singing and the arrangement was superb and I found it rather moving. Very well done to them.

All in all though quite an enjoyable evening. The ISB are still by far my favourite band!
  15. PeterBale

It was a very good evening, as you'll be able to read when my review appears on 4barsrest.com - it's gone in but I'm not sure when they'll get it posted ;)

The King's Singers' piece referred to above juxtaposed Ray's song "The Christian Mission" with "In the secret of thy presence", with a coda that I did not recognise, but very effective.

We were sitting towards the back of the stalls, and so maybe the music lost some of its immediacy, as other people I spoke to didn't find it a problem.

Content-wise, the pieces complemented each other well, with two interesting new solo items (David Daws and Derick Kane), although I would have liked to have heard something new from the bands as well. Both bands produced some excellent quiet playing, and there was no sign of the agressive approach that some have accused the ISB of lately.
  16. Jules Cornet

Jules Cornet Member

The King Singers 'coda' was the last section of the 3 movement selection 'Reflections' words by Catherine Baird and music by Norman Bearcroft written for the ISS.

This was subsequently arranged for band and appears on the ISB CD Odyssey.

It was a truly beautiful rendition by The King's Singers.

Jules Cornet
  17. beard_4b

beard_4b Member

What was the title of the cornet solo?
  18. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

Happy Land.

This is a brand new composition and David Daws gives the solo its British premiere. It has only been heard in public once before and that was when he played in Oslo a few weeks ago. Written by Major Terry Camsey, a one-time member of the ISB now living in Sun City, California, it is modelled on Del Staigers' arrangement of 'Carnival of Venice'. The theme and variations are based on the hymn 'There is a happy land, they say, oh so bright'.
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2005
  19. beard_4b

beard_4b Member

Thanks carl
  20. jmb83

jmb83 Member

Maybe its just me being fussy but i was not all that struck on Hendon's rendition of 'Celebration'.
    Maybe its with me being a drummer and knowing the side drum part inside-out but there were definately some extra beats being played, and not always where they fitted!
    But all in all it was a great night:)