Helpful suggestions please!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by SuperMosh, Sep 24, 2007.

1. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

Hi all

I am starting a new job next week and have been advised to request an 'MDA' - apparently this is some form of mobile gizmo that lets you email and sync with the PC. I will have a laptop / docking station for my desk so assume it will plug into that.

Being naive to all this manager nonsense, I emailed one of our top peeps to request the thing and have been asked to present a case why I need one of these 'expensive toys'.

My query: What are the benefits of owning one of these i.e. how does it improve my work, efficiency, time management etc.

Any ideas for the email I need to send to my boss by Friday much appreciated.

2. How_Low_Can_You_Go

How_Low_Can_You_Go New Member

I think you mean a PDA rather than an mda .. its basically very much like a filofax but also can be set up to keep track of your appointments and actually warn you of them rather than you having to remember to look at it, it will urge you to look at it ... It will also be a databank of all the email accounts and phone numbers yo usually keep on your pc. You'll be able to receive and send emails whilst on the move anywhere there is mobile internet access ..

Actually ... just looking it up an MDA is the same as a PDA but with mobile phone built in .. so you'll be able to send and receive emails wherever you are not just where there is wireless access

Without knowing what kind of work you do it is difficult to say how it will improve your productivity or what questions to ask your boss.
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2007
  3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Just ask for a Blackberry Pete - it's a phone but with total synchronisation with your MS Outlook or Exchange server for email, calendar, tasks and activities. They are good, though the drawback is that you're always then available... sort of.

I love mine though - can send and receive any email wherever I am... anywhere.
  4. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

The advantage is that anyone in need of your undoubtably excellent services can have full access to you any time of the day or night.

The disadvantage is that anyone in need of your undoubtably excellent services can have full access to you any time of the day or night.
  5. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

My guess is, if you don't know what it does, you probably don't need one.
  6. Blagger

Blagger Member

There's a phone on t-mobile called an MDA. Full title is an MDA Vario i think??
    But yes - a blackberry or Palm Treo will do the job fine.
  7. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

I've got an MDA Vario II on T-Mobile; the main advantage over a Blackberry is that they come with Windows Mobile so they're simpler to sync with Exchange Server, plus you can run quite a lot of applications on them, I've got "lite" versions of MS Office and Adobe Reader. If you spend a lot of time away from the office they're a lot more portable (albeit the keyboard is much more fiddly) than a laptop, plus if you get a GPS receiver you can run Tom-Tom Sat Nav software on them. You also get Internet Explorer, which works well especially on WAP/PDA enabled sites - 4BR and the BBC work well. There's a decent-ish camera and Windows media player, plus you can buy 2GB micro SD cards for extra storage.

However, the big screen canes the battery - if I use it a lot with bluetooth active, Windows Direct Push for email and all the other goodies activated, the battery doesn't last much more than 30 hours. They are also a fair bit bulkier than a standard phone, or the newest BlackBerries. I prefer it to a BlackBerry but you're mostly office-based the case for having one is fairly slim. More details here
  8. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

Auditing service provision within a local authority's childrens' trust - basically mapping and identifying services and any potential changes needed - will be out and about a fair bit and away from the desk, hence the laptop for presentations and report writing etc

This is my main selling point? No more of this 'I am out of the office for 3 days please leave me a voicemail' out of office malarkey.

Do they have 'off' switches?

Perhaps my original post was too sardonic but I won't claim to be an expert and wanted to open it up to people on here who generally speaking, are usually helpful ;)

Yep, I believe it is contracted with t-mobile and is the Vario

I will be office based but mainly out and about in meetings, doing presentations and the like.

My 'case' will focus on the time saving benefits and the ease in which I will be able to communicate and stay communicated. Any ideas how to expand this into a 'pitch' that the dragon's den will go for?
  9. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hmmmm.... seems like a lot of effort required to justify the costs/benefits of a PDA to me Pete. If management are looking for you to justify this, then to me, it looks as though it's going to cost more in terms of time to justify, than it would to simply buy the stupid thing!!

Some people eh... I find it really strange that, particularly in the public sector - project costs are increased significantly and unnecessarily by ensuring things are done in a particular way. It sort of defeats the object. The extra time taken to do something adds to the real cost of doing it - it's just that most ignorant managers don't appreciate the costs of a resource because they are hidden. Spending £200 on a PDA is a no no... oh no sireee... purchase orders, authorisation, justification etc... yuk says the manager, whereas wasting someones time by asking them to spend a few hours justifying purchasing the item is OK.

OK, for multiples of thousands, then yes... but for a £200 PDA.... c'mon.

10. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

I've just "downgraded" from a Vario II ( Which is actually a HTC Tytn, or Hermes) to a HTC Elf (TMobile Touch). Still Windows Mobile 6, not quite as fast, and no keyboard although I don't miss either, and it's SMALL! smaller than my last normal mobile, and still does Excel, Word, Tomtom etc.
    I use mine all day as a Network Manager, and it features the push email etc as the Tytn does.
  11. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

You're spot on John.

I have submitted the bid, it took me five minutes to write it - ironically enough on a Service Head's MDA whilst we were not outside having a cigarette.

Thanks for all your help people :tup