Helpful Phrases

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Jo Elson, Mar 9, 2004.

1. Jo Elson

Jo Elson Member

As I am off to Gran Canaria on Monday, along with Caroline and Blondie, just wondered if anyone knew any spanish phrases that may be of some use!
    So far I've got:
    -Tomare una cerveza, por favor - I'll have a beer please! (very important)
    -Donde se peude ir a bailar? - Where can we go dancing?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    phrases
    cerveza
    anyone
    Gran Canaria
    use
  3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

I think you might have opened the door for some mickey taking here Jo.... hehe, keep an eye on what people say eh :lol: :lol:

4. jameshowell

jameshowell Active Member

Would we do that.... :roll:

5. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

hmmm.. in a word....

yep... :):):)

6. Jo Elson

Jo Elson Member

Yeah has crossed my mind now, but being the knowledgabubble person that I am, and having studied spanish for 2years a couple of years ago i kinda have a vague understanding, i think. :roll:

7. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

Good idea Jo, I've totally forgotten all my spanish from GCSE, yet funnily enough i could remember the first beer related phrase too (i can even order 4 so thats ok!)
    Here's to our lame attempts next monday where we can drink :guiness in the sun 8)!

8. Sellers_Bird

Sellers_Bird Active Member

i know that naranja is orange but apart from that, im useless....

9. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

An afterthought...the only other thing I can remember is all of the words to La Bamba in spanish!
    My Gibralton friends at uni used to laugh at me when we were out in clubs (obviously the type of clubs that play La Bamba :? !) due to my spanish singing skills!

10. Dawnys_flug

Dawnys_flug Member

I suggest you watch Dora the Explorer on childrens tv. (Nick Junior i think)
    My 4 year old cousin and a band members 3 year old have been teaching me! I can't seem to pick it up though. They are very complex in their teaching methods. :lol:

11. Lothianh

Lothianh Member

Sadly, I only know two phrases of Spanish, neither of which are likely to be much use to you:

"En Busca de las Gran Tiburones" - "Search for the Great Sharks", the title of an Omnimax film that was showing at the Museum of Science and Industry here in Chicago, when I worked there a few years ago.

"Cuidado, cuidado!! Hay llamas!!" - "Look out!! Llamas!!", probably mostly useful in Peru...or around people who know their Monty Python sketches.

-Lothian

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    phrases
    cerveza
    anyone
    Gran Canaria
    use
  13. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

como te llama?? (pronounced como te yama)-whats your name??
    me llamo [enter name here]. (pronounced me yamo)- my name is [enter name here]
    hola- hello
    adios- good bye
    camarero- waiter
    por favor- please
    gracias- thank you
    donde esta la playa?- where is the beach?
    quiero un te- ill have tea (as in the drink)

any more and ill have to find my spanish book, those where just off the top of my head

14. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Dos big mac et dos mcflurry por favor

That'll get you and a friend lunch at least.

15. Fishsta

Fishsta Active Member

Tres conejos en un arbol tocando el tambor. Que si, que no, que si lo hey visto yo.

Weird how you remember things from exams... That one says something like "Three rabbits in a tree playing the drum. Why yes, why no, why yes, I have seen it."

Well, you never know.

16. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

the only one i've ever needed... while standing next to dumb brit...

dos cervezas por favor, mi amigo el payo...

17. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Cojones.

;-)

When I first heard about this word, we contemplated naming our recently formed brass quintet 'Cojones Brass' to see if anyone would twig. Thankfully, it WAS only a consideration!

18. twigglet

twigglet Member

A source of great amusement if shouted out when drunk me thinks!!