Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Cyndy, Jul 8, 2006.

1. Cyndy

Cyndy Member

Can anyone help !! our band has a young Bass Trom player(11 years) who is desperate to play a solo with the band, we have Minnie the Moocher for him, and he is doing o.k. on it ( should be ready for next year).
    He would like to play one this year, anyone know of an easy solo we could use.

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

You could get him to try the tasty 'Mr. Nice Guy' written by Adrian Drover. Here's the link that incudes snippets of the solo part and recording (this time with big band).
  3. Cyndy

Cyndy Member

Cheers brassneck,
    He should be able to cope with it. I will sent link to him and let him decide.
  4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member
    - only happy to help! ;)

post edit:- I have just realised that Adrian has a lengthy audio sample (played by Doug Yeo) with brass band (Faireys) ... unless someone can correct me if I'm wrong!
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2006
  5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

6. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

Frosty the Snowman at Crimbo - cracking piece...
  7. 1alexm

1alexm Member

yeah i love it, its ace, but it doesn't sound so easy
    its also a great piece for the band, cause it gives us some fun because we get to click our fingers at the beggining:biggrin:
  8. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

Frosty the Snowman is a hard piece - it was written for Mark Frost when he was playing for Grimethorpe , and I certainly wouldn't want to attempt it!

Wandrin' Star, arranged by Alan Fernie, is straightforward, although it does go low towards the end, going down to pedal Ab (bass clef).
  9. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Kenneth Cook's "The Passing Years" is quite straightforward - available from World of Brass, but not listed on their website. Doug Yeo features it with the New England Brass Band on "Honour & Glory", and also played it at the 2002 Bridgewater Hall festival.
  10. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

We have a great Bass Trom Solo called "La Reine" by Gerry McColl in our catalogue. PM me and I'll send you a pdf of the solo part.
  11. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

Barneys Tune or In A Cellar Cool are both pretty straight forward on bass trom. Plus i once heard Doug Yeo play Share My Yoke on Bass Trom Too and that sounded nice as well.

and as well for a youngster there is nothing wrong with borrowing the Acrobat from the tenors either.