Help...

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by jaberger, Sep 4, 2003.

1. jaberger

jaberger New Member

Hello

I could very much need some tips on transposing.

The band I' m playing with is going to play a piece where the tuba part is missing (an earlier tubist probably didn't return his part), so I have to play the bass clarinet part.

This part, however, is written in treble clef in G major and for a Bb instrument (bass clarinet). I play an Eb tuba and really don't know how to play it. Yes I am a newbie.

I' m going to 'rewrite' the part using a piece of software, even though it is a big job.

What I need is the 'formula' for transposing it so it will be easier for me to play on the Eb tuba. G clef is ok as I can add the needed b' s (3) for playing it as a F clef part. If possible also to F clef.

Hope someone can help me on this and that I am not making a fool of myself.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards
    Jan Bergersen
    norway

:)

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    tubist
    tuba part
    piece
    Eb
    instrument
  3. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Copy it out as written using your software then transpose it down a perfect fourth, including the key signature (which should become D major).

So a written G on the second line of the treble stave would become D below the treble stave.

If you're a bass clef reader, do as above but no need to transpose; changing the clef from treble to bass (and adjusting the octave, if necessary, depending on your software) should take you into F concert pitch.

Hope this is helpful!

D