Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Just Crazy, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Just Crazy

Just Crazy Member

I need some advice

Which is better?

To play solo horn for a fourth section band or play second horn for a first section band?

Please give your views it may stop me having sleepless nights.
  2. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

depends on who the other band is, who the current section are, who the potential section are, who are the MD's, which band is moving in what direction, how happy you are at whatever band, how good you are in relation to either band...
    you cant give a definative answer.
  3. Laucrimus

Laucrimus New Member

As someone who has not long moved from solo/1st horn in a fourth section band to 1st horn in a 1st section band, I would have to say 1st in 1st is the most rewarding. If for no other reason than playing with some very good individual musicians who are able to gel together better as a team and give a good performance.
  4. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

I've done both and prefered the higher section band, as the music chosen was nicer to play and as someone has said, playing with generally better players is a bonus.
  5. I have recently moved from 1st horn in a 4th sec band to 2nd horn in a 1st sec band I can honestly say that my playing has improved so much in that short space of time. I think it must be through playing with better players, more intense rehearsals and harder contest music, even though some of the concert music is not that much more difficult.

What has probably improved most is my concentration levels, obviously other aspects improve as a result of this.

So in a musical and playing improvement context it is definately better to be plying in a higher sec band even if you move down a seat or two (imho)
  6. Miss Presley

Miss Presley Member

I had a similar dilemma myself (well a bit similar anyway)

I was asked whether I was prepared to play Flugel Horn for the band instead of Principal Cornet. I opted to move to Flugel Horn in order to make way for a player of higher standard and quality for the Principal Seat, I did this for the good of the band.

At the end of the day, no-one can make the decision for you, and as the old saying goes, "a change is as good as a rest"

Good luck with the decision, you'll find the answer will coem to you.
  7. vonny

vonny Member

I think you should go wherever you feel best, it's a good thing to ask advice and opinions from others, but it's your decision at the end of the day.
    I know I have been faced with a similar situation in the past, and I decided to go and play solo cornet with anew band, rather than continue with 2nd cornet in a previous band. I also feel it is important to go with a band you feel happy with, and with who tou can effectivly interact with.

I hope the decision you make will be the right one - good luck!
  8. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

I prefer to be on the principal chair - but I am being given solo opportunities at my current band and it's a good set up. Basically go where you feel happiest.