Help - Youth solos

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by DublinBass, Mar 14, 2007.

1. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Our band will be sponsoring a youth solo contest. However, I just found out our organizer is worried their aren't enough pieces written with brass band accompaniment (which is obviously ridiculous).

I know many of youth have either played youth solos, support youth who have, or heard them at solo contests more than we have here. So I solicit your help in compiling a list by instrument, piece title and composer that would be appropriate for 14-18 year olds.

Concert Etude (Goedicke)

tenor horn
    Lark in the Clear Air
    Concerto for horn and band (Ellerby)

Concertino for baritone (Thorne)

Scherzo for Tuba (Golland)
    Tuba Concerto (Gregson)

Sorry I can't think of any soprano, flugel, trombone, or euph solos off of the top of my head.
  2. matthetimp

matthetimp Member

Soprano - Demelza
    Trombone - The Acrobat
    Flugel - Genie with the light brown hair
    Eup - Grandfathers clock (there is an easy arrangement of it done by someone)

You don't give any gradings of the players who would be involved so I have taken grades 4/5 as the standard.
  3. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Thanks Matt.

We don't really have gradings, so I'd imagine the majority of the soloists will be grades 4-7 with possible some 8s as the contest because more well known.
  4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

If you wanted an alternative to the Goedicke for cornet, then both Percy Code's "Zelda" and Terry Camsey's "Life's Pageant" are good, lyrical solos.

Flugel: William Himes' "Concertino"

Euphonium: Horovitz "Concerto" (could specify movements if the whole is too long)

Trombone: Bourgeois "Concerto"

(these last two have the advantage that they are also well known in the wind band field, which may be more familiar to some of your contestants)

Tuba: Les Condon's "Celestial Morn"