Help with presentation about trombones

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Paypol, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Paypol

Paypol New Member

I'm a newbie to the site and am cheekily looking for some help. I have a job interview next week and am required to do a 10 minute presentation on 'something I am passionate about'. Having a couple of jobs and a young family leads me to only be able to talk about my one hobby....playing bass trombone in a small brass band.

My talk is going to be to two financially minded people so nothing technical. I've decided to go along the route of 'My Trombone Journey' and do the presentation about myself (of which I am an expert!) but could do with some random and fun facts about the trombone to bulk it out and keep the layman mind interested.

Any contributions welcome!

Thanks a lot in advance!

Polly

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    trombone
    brass band
    something
    couple
    jobs
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Rather difficult to suggest much without it getting technical!

You could mention a bit about the history of the trombone, and its use in all sorts of groups from church accompaniments through to jazz bands. Regarding your own involvement, as it is a job interview it may be worth talking about the way your instrument fits in with the rest of the band - opportunities to develop team-work as well as highlighting individual skills.

4. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

....and how you balance your passion with your home/work committments?

5. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

You should take your trombone with you and play a little tune for them!

6. Ali.Syme

Ali.Syme Member

Been in this situation!

Best thing:

Look at the big players on the trombone front. Stress that there are expert manufacturers (Michael Rath, Schagerl, Willsons, etc.) and then the mass producers (Edwards, Yahama, etc.) and examine what these brands mean to the players and even what the price difference is like.

Show also that as soon as the need for a trombone was filled (i.e. if someone wants to buy a trombone, they can get one on the high street) that these companies said "okay - alto trombones then". Then as soon as everyone had access to any kind of trombone they wanted, it became about the next big cleaning product, the next little add on, the next cleaning cloth, the next slide cream. So it's become about getting the instrument in your hands then saying "oh and by the way you might want some of this stuff..."

FMCG (Fast Moving Consumer Goods) isn't something you'd associate with a trombone but the instrument industry has started to notice the people already owning instruments (folks like you and me who need as much rotor oil as we can get!).

*gasps* That enough?

7. 007ish

007ish Member

8. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member