Help with move from Cornet to EEb Bass

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by kiwiinoz, Jan 29, 2014.

1. kiwiinoz

kiwiinoz Member

Yes I know, why have you done that you are asking. Well, was in need of a change anyway and the band needed another EEb so here I am. So, can someone help me with some tips and ideas on rehersal at home. What should I be doing? I have no issues (at the moment) with low register, just pitching and getting about G seems to be an issue. Would love some tips please!! Thanks :clap:

2. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

My mrs would kill me if I brought one of them home

3. Tuba Miriam

Tuba Miriam Member

I also changed from cornet to bass (a fair few years ago now); I wouldn't necessarily offer any specific advice beyond just playing a lot.

The main issue I found was breathing, which never really goes away, but long notes at mp/mf will help and also with filling the instrument to produce a full sound (you don't want to sound like a cornet player on a bass!). Also try long notes while increasing the dynamic and coming back down while watching a tuning meter to ensure it doesn't go sharper as you get louder; the temptation may be to "pinch" the embouchure to compromise breath control resulting in a thinner sound that goes sharp.

I also got/get a lot out of playing hymn tunes (the solo cornet part) ... partly to remind myself what a tune is and partly to try and smooth out the line as far as possible with reference to something familiar. Think of playing with a nice, full sound (not loud) with no lumps or bumps, even though you will need to break the phrasing in unmusical places.

Saying all this, I'm definitely no teacher and would recommend taking a couple of lessons from a tuba player to help get established; that's what I did, and it not only helped immensely but was a huge inspiration.

Good luck with it!

4. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

In all fairness, someone should point out that Tuba Miriam has in fact gone from being a fairly mediocre (I don't think he would argue with me!) cornet player in a 2nd section band to being a successful Eb Bass player in a top championship section band, so I think his advice would be worth taking.

In particular, I don't think one can overstate the importance of having a few lessons from a good tuba teacher.

5. mikey.smithy

mikey.smithy Member

is there any footage of tuba miriam in his cornet days, or has it been erased for the benefit of all concerned?..

6. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I'm really not sure. If I have time over the weekend I'll have a sift through some of my old cassette tapes.

7. Tuba Miriam

Tuba Miriam Member

Cheers, Gareth!

Mike, I was raided by the music police some years ago and have nothing to show for it ...

8. kiwiinoz

kiwiinoz Member

Thanks for all your help with this. Sadly where i live there are no tuba teachers around. I will find a brass teacher and see if they can assist me. I will take on fully what tuba miriam has suggested and give it my best. Love hearing a good bass section which in my opinion makes a band, so to hear from someone is a top championship band is very much appreciated.

9. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

I went from cornet to Bb bass and then, a couple of years later, back to cornet! It took moving from London to Canada to get back to cornet though :) Wish this forum and tuba miriam were around back then. Good luck with the transition.

10. RMQ

RMQ Member

Hi, I moved from Sop to Bb Bass, the only advice I can give that I found useful was to play as much as possible, practice ur range and pitching but importantly.....enjoy it!! It will become second nature and I kno u will Love it!!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    EEb Bass Yes
    EEb
    Cornet
    moment
    EEb Bass
  12. bbg

bbg Member

Made this move about 5 years ago, had a brief move to bari, back to bass - then cornet for a summer when a bad back made handling the bass tricky (which turned into playing 3rd cornet at the Cheltenham Nationals in 2012!) then back to bass where I honestly feel at home now.
    I took a lot of advice and coaching from our founding MD, who was wont to wander along behind me in rehearsal and give the benefit of his wisdom in breaks, as well as established players in our own band. The biggest difference in technique that I had to master was slower, deeper, more controlled breathing; the feeling of achievement when I first played a 4-bar phrase was immense! (there are those who would say that is still an achievement in my case....!)
    Overall - go for it, work away....and ENJOY!