Help with a 'stuck' mouthpiece - pleeeeeease!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by vonny, Aug 25, 2005.

1. vonny

vonny Member

I was wondering if anyone can give me any tips on how to get my 'stuck' mouthpiece out of my cornet.
    After last night's band rehearsal i was putting my cornet away and i couldn't get the mouthpiece out. The cornet was passed about other members but no-one could dislodge it... you name it we tried it!!!
    I don't know how it happened because it's not as though i was messing about, i was just playing, listening and being quiet (as i usually am) :rolleyes:

Yvonne x
  2. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Take it to McQueens, they should have a device to remove it. If not see Bill at Ashton Instruments, he's excellent with instruments, plus he's very reasonably priced.
  3. NeilW

NeilW Member

You could try pouring a small amount of boiling water over the part of the lead pipe that the mouthpiece is in.

Then QUICKLY try twisting and removing the mouthpiece - before it too warms up.

The theory is that the tube will expand quicker than the mouthpiece and give you enough clearance to remove it.

Can also be extended by putting some ice in the cup of the mouthpiece to cool it before you apply the hot water which will make the MP shrink slightly.

Health and safety would suggest you're careful dealing with boiling water and don't burn youself with it or on the hot tubing (gloves might be a good idea!)

Failing that, its a trip to a repairer....
  4. madrich

madrich Member

Only do that if you have a silver plate instrument. If you have a laquered instrument the heat of the boiling water will damage the laquer and cause it to start peeling, which is a bad thing :)
  5. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Boiling water on the lead pipe? The quickly twist? I think that is dangerous, as heating the leadpipe (a "soft" metal) then quickly twisting could result in serious damage to the leadpipe!

Take it to a repair shop!
  6. vonny

vonny Member

Thank you guys so very much :D I will take it to a repair shop, best to be safe than sorry eh!!!

Yvonne x
  7. HBB

HBB Active Member

You can always buy a mouthpiece remover?
  8. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Unless you're in the habit of getting your mouthpiece stuck I would say the cheapest option would be to take it to a repair shop....:rolleyes: :wink:

Whatever you do DON'T FORCE IT! I have a mate who literally managed to pull his cornet apart trying to free a stuck mouthpiece. Remember that the repair bill would be much larger if they have to re-solder the leadpipe as well as remove the mouthpiece....
  9. NeilW

NeilW Member

Brass (which is what the leadpipe is made of - not lead!) isn't that soft a metal! (Whiskey stills are made of copper and brass and they cope quite OK wil boiling liquor!)

I do take the point about possibly damaging laquer though - I've never had a laquered instrument: either plain brass or silver plate.

Maybe I'm just more resourceful because there aren't any "handy music repairers" in this part of the world - the closest are all about 20-25 miles away.

10. ericthered

ericthered Member

Try This First

:mad: Even shops can damage your cornet.

I know a way which will prevent your cornet from being damaged. :biggrin:

Place a duster or clean piece of dry fabric over your mouthpiece. Now grip the mouth piece gently but securely in a vice. Enough pressure to grip but not enough to deform or dent the mouthpiece which is hard to do. You are more likely to damage the vice than your mouthpiece. You can also use a door, drawer, or any device where you can grip the mouthpiece without using your hands.

Now gently, very gently, twist the cornet so that the leadpipe turns. The vice should keep the mouthpiece still hence the hold is broken therefore it's out. :clap:

This has always worked for me. :tup
  11. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Hmm, I don't remember mentioning lead in my post.. anyway, most modern instruments I've come across are made out of softer brass alloys. (red brass, yellow brass, etc.. with different characteristics.. )

I've seen leadpipes on modern instruments twisted by people trying to force stuck mouthpieces out. I would certainly not try what you recommend.
  12. ericthered

ericthered Member

Very Gently

Please, note the word "gently" in my post. When I have had to do this in the past actually very little force was used to get any mouthpiece out.

I've seen instruments go in to shops where the owner has been charged a lot of money only for it to come back out with solder all over the leadpipe and the hook of the bell. The cornet ruined.

Any idiot can blatantly damage a cornet! Not enough smileys on this BB.

13. timbloke

timbloke Member

I'm sure i remember seeing a thread somewhere on tMP where someone had put a link to a gadget for removing mouthpieces. I've been trying to get hold of one for our training band, I think in the thread there was a suggestion of making a small charge if the players continually get their gob-iron stuck.

I've searched high and low for the thread, and on the internet for the gadget, but cannot find it. anyoine know of where I can get hold of one of these gadgets, and how much they'll cost?
  14. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

i think its a bobcat your looking for.
    have a look here for a price.
    They are really easy to use, and have been an invaluable adition to our band room!!!
    Here's a link to another thread!
    Last edited: May 6, 2007
  15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- there's a bobcat extractor on eBay at the moment, but I think you are showing a far better deal ....
  16. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

that would be about the going rate for one, Normans are selling them for the same as are a number of other retailers, i actually paid 30 quid fro ours on JP's trade stand
  17. eymsbrassband

eymsbrassband Member

If you twist the mouthpiece when you put it in to the instrument, it should always come out if you twist it the other way round. Simple but very effective, apparently twisting it means that it won't jam solidly into the leadpipe.

stuck mouthpieces

Spray the joint with WD40, leave overnight, comes straight out next morning
  19. timbloke

timbloke Member

Thanks, that was the thread i was thinking about.
  20. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

As Stuart Haigh said a drop of WD40 and left overnight can work but not always. I do a small amount of repair work for some of the local music shops in this area, and having once seen the Bobcat, I made my own similar contraption.(I am an engineer with my own small machine shop) However the idea of heat and cold can work providing the water is only hot and not boiling. Most lacquers these days are baked on in the first place, and will therefore stand a reasonable amount of heat. I have in the past re-soldered joints without damaging the lacquer, but there is a knack to that, and do not recommend any one trying without the right knowledge. Re-soldering a joint on a silvered instrument is worse and can result in a real mess of the silver plate, again a case of the right knowledge and in this case the right solder.