Help - Which BBb Bass Mouthpiece?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by DaveBBb, Jul 20, 2010.

1. DaveBBb

DaveBBb Member

I play a spanking new York BBb Bass :clap:
    My question is to all the Masters on the 'Dark Art of BBb Bass playing' -- Which is the best Mouthpiece to use? Currently I have:
    1. a Denis Wick 2L (the one sent with the instrument), I think it makes the instrument sound harsh,
    2. a Denis Wick 2XL (the old one, it plays well in all registers and makes a good sound),
    3. a Vincent Bach 24AW (makes a mellow sound in all registers) and
    4. the big Daddy, a Perantucci PT88+ (makes a Big sound esp. in the pedal notes but I tend to burst notes in the higher register).
    Maybe there is another that you would recommend? or do I just need to practice more?
    HELP. Thanks.
    (An apprentice of the Dark Art)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Bass Mouthpiece
    Denis Wick 2L
    BBb Bass
    Thanks.
    Denis Wick 2XL
  3. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

Bach 18 used to be the weapon of choice among BBb players...but you need to find what works for you!

4. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

I like the Wick 2XL. Certainly been my weapon of choice. The 2L which comes with the York BBb is (in my opinion), garbage.

That said, I think I might have summed up the York BBb bass in general there (and possibly the Eb as well).

5. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

I use a Mike Finn 3. www.themusiccellar.co.uk in Preston stock them. Worth trying them there before you buy. YMMV of course.

6. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

It depends what you're doing with it. If you're playing the middle part and are interested in sound and projection, a bach 18 is perfectly acceptable, and will do everything that a 24AW does for an Eb player. If you're playing the low part, and are looking for basement (bass-ment?) ability, then perhaps a Bach 12 or even a 7.

Personally I'd avoid Dennis Wick mouthpieces. I'vve played Eb on a 3L and found the bach 24AW infinitely superior. Likewise on BB I've used a 2L, 1L and 1XL - none of which I got on with. But mouthpieces are a very individual thing, so you might find you like the shape of a Wick - and a lad who used to share a bass section with me for a long time (Andy "Belfast Barman" Stephenson) made a great noise on what I think was a wick 1L.

I'm currently on a Perantucci PT50+, which suits me down to the ground. First tried it on Tallis Variations when I had one on loan from a friend (thanks Paddo!) and have been on it ever since. Someday I may go the whole hog and buy an 88+, (which is a bucket) but for now, the 50 is versatile enough with plenty of power in the low register, and all the subtletly I need.

Best thing to do is try as many as you can, and once you've got one you like, persevere with it. After you've established how you play and what your role within the section is, you can start fine tuning by going up a size or down a size as necessary.

PS - welcome to the dark side!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  7. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Personally, I prefer the Dennis Wick 1L; I have a 1XL but find it a bit too big.

8. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Nobody can tell you which the best mouthpiece is for you my friend, you need to take a great journey of discovery in order to find the holy grail.

9. paddo

paddo Member

agree with steve on this one,

however, (thanks andy) i play on a tucci PT88+ and got to say the best thing i have ever played. You have to have the lungs and mouth to fill this thing, yes I have them both :)

Bottom end is immence, upper, you need to be in practice or it will bite you. well worth a try though, honestly best money I have ever spent, and andy too by the sound of it. Andy Stephenson borrowed mine while he helped our band out at the English Nationals and was amaezed at the noise he was able to produce from it,

good hunting

10. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Ive got a PT88+ as well, had a Bach 7 before but feel this is more comfy and gives me a smoother and rounder sound as long as I dont go too over the top!!

11. tubalation

tubalation Member

As above...

I'd generally agree with all that's gone above - it has to be a personal choice, but as with many of the contributorsI've found the bach 18 better for playablility, tone and tuning than the 'old style' DW 1 and 2 (not tried the recent models) and the PT88+ a great mouthpiece as long as you stay on and below the stave, but they can start getting difficult to play cleanly in the upper-middle registers (or perhaps that's just me) ;).

So PT88+ is 'weapon of choice' for the late 20th / 21st Century testpieces (pedals and power pieces), maybe the bach 18 for the older / more running about stuff.

Mind you, I'm talking about matching to Besson 992 and 994 BBb, I don't know if there are any subtle differemnces in the profile etc of the York that may change that.

As Andy said - welcome to the BBb club

Mike
    BBb Newstead Brass

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Bass Mouthpiece
    Denis Wick 2L
    BBb Bass
    Thanks.
    Denis Wick 2XL
  13. paddo

paddo Member

helped a band out at the weekend and my BBb 4th packed up so ended up playing their york, PT88+ and the York, one word......... awesome......

14. Thirteen Ball

I was really impressed with the last york BB I played too. Found the tuning a little tricky in the middle and top to start with, but I think that was mainly unfamiliarity with the thing and after hauling a few slides around I got it a lot better.

Smooth, easy blowing, and a big, warm, dark sound - particularly in the pedal register which is unbelievably good. A whole extra tone went onto my range straightaway! Valves were a bit clunky but it'd been stood a while so that's understandable.

I guess, like a mouthpiece, it's a case of whatever suits you as a player... But if I could afford a york, I'd have one.

15. paddo

paddo Member

me too Andy, with out a shadow of doubt. My sound is already rather large but with that thing it was scary !! :) there was that much less resistance in the whole thing, found it a pure delight, i true pleasure, and they've gone bust!!!!!

16. DaveBBb

DaveBBb Member

Message from the 'Dark Side'

Best BBb Mouthpiece.

That's it then, of the 12 Apostles of the Dark Art who have replied to to the question - Which BBb Mouthpiece is Best? 4 recommend the PT88+, 3 the DW2XL, 3 the Bach 18, 2 the AW24, 2 the DW 1L and 1 each for the Mike Finn 3, the Bach 12 Bach 7 and the PT 50. The new DW's seem to have bombed with these Masters of the Dark Art.

The main message, however, is that the search for the Holy Grail of BBb Bass Mouthpieces is a personal one, a journey to infinity and beyond.

In my case I will stick to the PT88+. It is a Beast that has to be tamed (esp. in the higher register).

Thanks to those who have taken the time to impart their wisdom.

(The Sorcerer's Apprentice). ;)

17. Thirteen Ball

The force is strong in this one....

Glad to be of service! ;)

18. tubadaz

tubadaz Member

Back when I was practising the dark art of BBb playing, I would swear by (and occasionally at!) the Bach 7, which still makes an appearance on the (rare!) occasions that I drag my Holton Sousaphone out of retirement! :D

Had the Perantucci range been around at the time I was grovelling in the depths of BBb playing, I would probably have given the PT88+ a try.

Darryl
    (Now playing Eb on a PT82!) :D

19. MartinT

MartinT Member

Quite by chance, I've found myself with a Marcinkiewicz 18 - I was looking for a new Bach 18 at the time, but Rosehill didn't have one in stock.

I rather like the Marc<mumble>, it seems to give a slightly lighter sound than the Bach, but I'm pleased with the result. It's cheaper, too! :clap:

20. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

I loaned my LM-7 to our BBb bass Player and he bought one straight after. His range and tuning improved imediatly he started using it. Loud make a Bucket to. The LM-3 they consider the bigest tuba Mpc available. Not tried it though. I don't have the Lungs for it. Their advertising slogan for that mpc is.
    Are you Man enough for the LM-3

21. Tubazz

Tubazz Member

Hi guys and Girls,i am new to the forum,sorry to rekindle this thread but i have been trying to register for quite a few days,
    after playing the Eb tuba for a very long time i have for the last 18 mths been on the much demanding BBb tuba, which is quite a challange,but finding the correct mouthpiece is a bigger one, i struggled with VB24AW ,tried DW 1L, was a little better,then got VB7 and alot better,what i would like to try are the PT 88 and the LM3 but expensive to buy ,any way to try before you buy ?i know hygeine and everything !2nd hand perhaps ,i know there are some on here that use the PT 88,anyone used the LM3,the reason i ask all this is i think i still have more to get out of this tuba. :p

22. Thirteen Ball

If you're already on a VB7, the PT88+ is of a very similar size, but with a slightly sharper rim. That's about as big as tuba mouthpieces go if I'm honest.

By "Get more out of this tuba" what do you mean? Mouthpieces can be chosen to deal with imperfections in playing, change the nature of your sound, improve range in either direction (though seldom both) the list is endless.

What is it that you're primarily trying to achieve? If you've got a single issue to work on, it may be there's a mouthpiece to help with that, but I'd highly reccomend some time with a tuba tutor in order to make a good informed choice.