HELP WANTED: Band in Oxfordshire

Discussion in 'Recruitment Corner' started by jamieow, Feb 23, 2007.

1. jamieow

jamieow Member

Hi, can anyone help me please??

My parents moved to Kirtlington, North Oxford last year with my 13 yr old brother and 11 yr old sister from Wrexham.

Before they moved my little brother had been having cornet lessons in school and off me - got him to around Grade 2 std in 6 months.

Since he's moved to Oxford and now started senior school (Woodstock) he's not really played.
    He has his own cornet but it seems that (my mum checked) you have to pay for any sort of peri lessons in school and he's also having private piano lessons though so don't want it to cost too much.

I did buy him an arben before they moved so he could play a bit and he does get the cornet out now and again - but not enough!!
    I did give him a 'lesson' a couple of wks ago when I was visiting and he wasn't too bad considering!!!! His reading is quite good though due to piano lessons.

W're now looking for a Junior band / 4th Section band that he could join and start playing properly again
    Is there anyone near enough to Kirtlington that he could go along to with a view to joining or even getting lessons etc.
    Also, my little sister is showing an interest in learning and may like to start playing though doesn't have an instrument.
    If anyone could help, that'd be grreat!!
    Thanks,
    Jamie

Last edited: Feb 23, 2007
  2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    HELP WANTED
    Oxfordshire Hi
    Grade 2
    North Oxford
    Kirtlington
  3. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Guy James runs a good training programme at Yarnton band. His number is 01993 881047. Website.

There is a band at Bletchingdon, which is a bit closer, but I don't know what their youth outlook is. Their website says that they have a youth band though.

We don't have a youth band (shame on us...), although we are close; I wonder if Stonesfield (http://www.stonesfieldsilverband.org.uk/) do?

The daddy of all youth training schemes in the county is at Wantage (http://www.wantageband.org/), in the South of the county, but that's probably a bit further than they want to travel.

Hope this is helpful.

4. jamieow

jamieow Member

Thanks Dave, will pass on to my mother!!!

5. weez

weez Member

Hi there,

There is Oxford Templars Brass which is based in Cowley, Oxford.
    My mum conducts the band, plus I also privately teach a few of the band members both young and old so I can vouch for them being a great bunch of people! :) The band is in the fourth section with the added bonus of a youthful cornet section I'm sure your young cornet player would fit right in!

If you want any more info pls PM me or email at louiseemmadavis@btinternet.com

6. LynneW

LynneW Member

We have a very good training band at Bletchington Band which is only a couple of miles away from Kirtlington, and as the band is 4th section it sounds ideal for your brother. The main band rehearse in Bletchington Village Hall on Tuesdays from 7.30 - 9.30 and Fridays from 7.30 - 9pm, the Beginners and Training band rehearse on Fridays from 6.30 - 7.15. If you would like more details, pm me and I'll send you a contact number, or just get one of your parents to bring him along to one of our practices. The main band is a very varied mix of players of all ages, with about half of the cornet players being young.

7. jamieow

jamieow Member

Thanks.
    Got a few options to try out now.

8. David Pegram

David Pegram Member

Bletch are a great bunch and a great place for a young player.Shame we are too far away.