HELP!! Urgent before Butlins

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by imthemaddude, Jan 18, 2006.

1. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

I've got a major problem with my new Xeno. I have only had to put valve oil on twice up to now and I did it all to the book but my second valve is sticking and staying down and I have tried everything to get it moving. The other two are fine. What have I done and more importantly what I can I do to solve it before Butlins.

2. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

wash it?
  3. HBB

HBB Active Member

Take it to a shop, if you've tried everything you can think of, you've only got 3 days left before Butlins!
  4. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Have you checked the spring hasn't fell out???
  5. imthemaddude

yep its not the spring and I cant wash it because it is too close to the contest. I want to practice too this is my last chance :(
  6. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Take it to a repair shop and play on another cornet at the contest- you don't want it happening on the stage.
  7. PHA161

PHA161 New Member

......that is a new one on me ! Perhaps that is where I have been going wrong all these years.
  8. imthemaddude

I always got taught that you don't wash your instrument before a contest because it takes the 'lining' off and it takes a while for it to settle back down and also apparently it can change your tuning. Maybe an expert can tell us more about this
  9. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

This happened to my sop last year, was the first valve and it was stuck down fast. Couldtn budge it, so it was sent to our repairers who said it ha d been bashed on the valve casing and the valve case was bent out of shape, which was a new 1 on me, considering I couldnt remeber bashing my poor baby!
    Anyway he fixed it for me!
  10. impycornet

impycornet Member

/* gets prepared to be shot down in flames */

As far as I am concerned/aware the problem of your tuning being affected by washing the instrument will only occur if your cornet is very dirty inside. ie Unwashed for a long time. If it is a new Xeno then I can't imagine it being dirty enough that a good wash will affect any tuning. Anyway.. what is preferable, washing the cornet tonight & then having to move your tuning slide a millimetre next rehearsal or going on stage sh####ng yourself that the valve is going to stick down ??

So... take it apart. Give it a thorough wash. Then put it back together again giving everything a good splash of the relevent oil/grease.
    ( If you have any bits left over at this stage then consult an expert ! )

If your valve still sticks after this - then it is possibly damaged, or suffers from a manufacturing fault. Either way get it to a repair shop so they can assess it & get it back to Yamaha if necessary.

Hope this helps.
  11. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

New valves often take time to bed down and the smallest burr or fleck of metal could cause the valve to stick. Definitely clean it.
  12. imthemaddude

I'm back from Butlins now and my valves despite cleaning them and everything, were still impossible to play with at the contest so I was praying for a late draw. We drew 9th and so I went to the trade stand where I got my cornet from and they very kindly lent me one of their demo ones to play and I played ok. Now I have to try and sort them before the area!!
  13. Baron Greenback

Baron Greenback New Member

its a shame i read this thread too late. i would have prescribed a good slathering of pond slime, works every time. :biggrin: