Help to settle an argument...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by bassinthebathroom, Sep 22, 2007.

1. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

Hi guys,
    Perhaps someone on here can help settle an argument type discussion we have been having at university?...
    What is the correct order for academic abbreviations after a person's name? For example, I already have my BA(Hons), and next year I will hopefully (fingers crossed) have an MA and a PGCE to go with it. As everyone on the PGCE course has an undergrad degree and some have another postgrad degree too it's something that's caused some discussion;
    I thought it was the order you received them in, oldest to newest, others say newest to oldest, others alphabetically... does anyone know what the real order would be? Is there an official line?
    Cheers,
    Iain

2. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I've always assumed that it is the higher degrees first - i.e. MA, BA (Hons), PGCE. I don't think that most people put the PGCE after their name though! ;)

3. vonny

vonny Member

I initially thought it was lowest to highest, for me it would read:

Yvonne Owen Bsc, PGCE

There is a website called abbreviations of qualifications guidelines which gives appropiate information relating to your question Iain

x Yvonne x

4. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

There are some interesting views HERE and HERE

Cheers

5. vonny

vonny Member

Hey how did you intergrate those websites into the post? I cannot do such complex things :confused:

x Yvonne x

6. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

First degree, er, first followed by the post grad stuff followed by professional memberships....

So for a scientist, for example, it could be

Dr Joseph Bloggs, B.Sc.(Hons), Ph.D, FRSC, CChem

etc.

It all really depends if you need the full list, really - if it's for something like a Professional Card then shove them all on....other than that people sometimes just use the highest degree and the memberships.

Edit: If you were to include the PGCE I'd put it on at the end as it's a secondary qualification outside of the primary education.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2007
  7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- first of all, copy the URL that you want to link. Type a word (e.g. here), highlight it, and click on 'add link' (the blue world icon with the link superimposed on it). Paste the copied URL path into box and click 'okay'. :cool: :tup

8. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

If the MA and the BA are from the same institution, the BA simply gets replaced by the MA - i.e. you don't get to list both.

It's usually Honorific Titles (KG, OBE etc), then Masters degrees (MA, MSc), then Batchelors degrees if a different format (ie MSc BVSc but not MA BA)or if from different institutions (e.g. MA(Liv) BA(Lon) ), then official non-degree qualifications (PGCE, CertZooMed) and finally professional/honorific fellowships and memberships (FRGS, MRCVS).

9. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Or that :biggrin: (although mosts chemists I know do it my way....but perhaps we're odd ;) )

10. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

During my army days, one of my bandmasters has F.A.M.D after his name on the office door. Suffice to say the MD stood for Music Degrees ;)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    correct order
    undergrad degree
    argument type discussion
    postgrad degree
    year
  12. vonny

vonny Member

Personally I wouldn't add any letters after my name as it dosen't matter how educated I am I'm still Yvonne:biggrin:

x Yvonne x

13. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

You do seem to add an 'X' both before and afterwards though ;)

14. bassinthebathroom

Cheers for all your input peeps. The info would be used for things like CVs, so I can go back armed with all my research next week!

15. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

I was always told (by people who have more than one degree) that it's considered rather vulgar to list anything other than the highest one after one's name.:tongue:

If one is merely listing them for the purposes of a Curriculum Vitae then one should use the order which is most aesthetically pleasing.

I'm making a semi-serious point here, bearing in mind that some qualifications cannot usually be acheived without taking others first, is it really necessary to list them all? E.g. a prospective employer reading PhD will assume that you have a Bachelor's and/or a Master's degree already. Similarly with professional qualifications; sometimes one is a Member before one becomes a Fellow, there's no need to list both.
    CV's need to be as short and pithy as posisble. :rolleyes: And indeed, corectly speld.
    BMB BA(Hons) Oxford
    xx

16. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

For years I would sign off with W. Elsom BAx. It meant I used to work for the Benefits Agency.....

17. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

Does that mean your none the wiser? I know that I'm confused... Mind you, i don't have a degree! :confused:

18. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

One of my colleauges has three doctorates in different subjects; his title is therefore Professor Doctor Doctor Doctor Fred Bloggs.

D

19. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

In Germany it is not uncommon for people to be addressed this way (Herr Professor Doktor Doktor, etc. etc.) if they have multiple doctorates. :eek:

20. bassinthebathroom

Doctor, Doctor eh?
    I'll put all the info in the melting pot and perhaps we'll come out none the wiser - or perhaps I could write a dissertation on it? :rolleyes:

21. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

It's pretty vulgar to list any qualification after your name unless its existence is directly relevant to your text... Or to insist on being called 'Doctor' just because you have a PhD...

A warning story about the dangers of flashing your qualifications too readily - a friend of a friend always insisted on being addressed as "Doctor" when travelling by plane; his theory was that he was more likely to be offered an upgrade than if he had been plain Mister (don't know if it's right or not - the friend [a PhD of many years standing who is always happy to go as "Mister"] thinks not). On one occasion, halfway through a flight that he was travelling on, a man had a heart attack. The cabin crew put out an announcement appealing for a doctor. No one came forward. They then checked through the passenger list, discovered that he was listed as "Dr", and a member of the cabin crew approached him, asking him to assist, and wanting to know why he hadn't responded to the announcement. In these circumstances, "Sorry, my doctorate is in physics" isn't a popular response, and the chap in question was thoroughly embarrassed, and made to feel like an idiot by the cabin crew and nearby passengers alike. I believe he's been content to be an anonymous "Mr" ever since.

In answer to the original question, I believe the most appropriate order is the one that you like the best.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    correct order
    undergrad degree
    argument type discussion
    postgrad degree
    year