Help...suggest a big name soloist and choir

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by fartycat, Jul 19, 2009.

1. fartycat

fartycat Member

As some may know, Woodfalls lost its sponsorship earlier on this year. So as part of our fundraising drive to ensure the band survives, we have a huge gig in Salisbury Cathedral on September 5th.

We have found a sponsor to cover the costs of hiring the venue and are now looking for a big name soloist and choir to bring in the crowds.

We've already tried Peter Moore and Phil Cobb, both of whom can't do the job. Has anyone else got a suggestion? We're looking at aiming more at the Classic FM market so perhaps an orchestral brass soloist rather than a brass band star.

2. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

Cantamus Girls Choir
  3. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Don't laugh, but what about Susan Boyle. Currently in great demand and in the public eye
  4. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

Wells Cathedral choir? Alison Balsom?
  5. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

Kevin Morgan principle trombone Bournemouth Symphony orch.
  6. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

Crispin Steel Perkins is excellent! and another guy to try is Richard Martin he's the Principle Trumpet of the Northern Symphonia. Fantastic player and a tremendously nice guy done a few gigs with him in the past.
  7. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Chorus Amici are always awesome when I see them live!

Donal Bannister, Rhiannon Symonds (Very talented up and coming star, her mum is on here.) Jonathan Pippen (Absolutely fantastic trombonist and is not a brass bander by profession) Jim Gourlay. Steve Sykes (Snr. and Jnr.)?

I will also second Kevin Morgan. I heard him at RWCMD earlier this year playing some alto bone. Awesome stuff.
  8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Katherine Jenkins as a guest singer? Maurice Murphy as trumpet soloist?
  9. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

As there is less than 8 weeks before gig, I think Katherine Jenkins may be a bit short notice and not sure what your budget is!!

Jonathon Pippen is a fantastic player... Maurice Murphy good shout ....Rod Franks also 1st trumpet LSO

how about Chris Mowatt RWCMD ex BBC symphony or Lyndsey Shilling
  10. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

Christopher Deacon is one of the most sought-after trumpet players on the London professional scene. He's a former principal trumpet of the NYO and EUYO and has played with all of the major orchestras and brass ensembles in the UK. Those that went to the brass day at the Proms a couple of years ago would have heard Chris playing Eb Trumpet in the BBC Philharmonic Brass Ensemble.
  11. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

Paul Archibald is now Head of Brass and Woodwind at the Guildhall School of Music but still plays with London Mozart Players and Britten Sinfonia.

ACM Gospel Choir were one of the choits that didn't win BBC's Last Choir Standing but my wife thought they were good!
  12. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

13. Lesley Richmond

Lesley Richmond New Member

Not a brass player but you could try Aled Jones.
  14. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Just by way of warning, before you go for any of the 'household' names, be prepared that their normal budgets and fees are (usually) somewhat in excess of those associated with brass bands.

Best of luck with the search and the concert :D
  15. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Kathryn Jenkins, and Harry Christophers & the Sixteen.

Well... you did ask :)
  16. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Can you really imagine that partnership?
    The Sixteen are one of the finest choirs in the world, all incredible musicians and some of the greatest performers you can possibly imagine.
    Then there is Miss Jenkins...
  17. themusicalrentboy

didn't think of these - If you ask really nicely (and if you have any keen singers there) Simon Berridge, one of the tenors, might do a workshop - he came to our school about 3 weeks ago and did a morning with our Chamber Choir in readiness for singing with the sixteen in the afternoon.

they're a class act.... although, they do charge a lot of money.....
  18. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Sounds like one of the Classic gigs from the RAH ;)
  19. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I'm sure many organisations would like Miss Jenkins' presence! She might get to sing as well. ;) Very popular and busy artist these days.
  20. themusicalrentboy

what..... she sings does she? I'd never noticed because of her stunning... erm.... personality?