HELP! ->Stradivarius Trumpet

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by cjconnor24, Jul 20, 2005.

1. cjconnor24

cjconnor24 Member

Hi there, i was just if anyone had any advice or past experience on this issue. I have a Bach Strad Trumpet (Bb) which is brand new, under 5months old. When i got the trumpet there was a sort of rubber thing at the bottom of the valve casings which i left on beacause i assumed it was ment to be there if they put it on. When i was cleaning it the other night i took this thing off and noticed there was loads of black marks. at first i thought this was just adhesive off the rubber guard thing but i think it is actually where the plating has came off. As i'm sure you will all know these are not cheap instruments and i feel that this sort of wear, especially in under five months is unacceptable! It hasn't even been used excessiveley:confused: (spelling, argh!!) as im scared to practically touch it:tongue:!

Does anyone have advice on what i should do???

I will attach some pics to let you guys see!

Some feedback would be really appreciated!!

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  2. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hey Chris, you might like to reduce the kb filesize of those images. I am in a hotel on dialup this evening and they took an age to load.
  3. cjconnor24

cjconnor24 Member

Well spotted, sorry about that. I uploaded the high res pics instead of the low res ones!

Will change them now:tup

Thanks Again
  4. tootnbuzz

tootnbuzz Member

The black rubber thing you removed fron the bottom of the valves is known as a "grime gutter" It is supposed to catch the drops of moisture and excess valve oil that sometimes collects at the bottom of the valve. You might try just cleaning the instrument with a mild liquid soap in warm water and a soft sponge and see if that takes off the marks. If the finish has been damaged you may want to talk to the manager of the music store where it was purchased and see what they recommend. Worse case scenario - it dosen't look great but it still plays great.

Best of luck

5. cjconnor24

cjconnor24 Member

Thanks Craig!
    I tried giving it a little clean but it just wouldn't move atall!

i know it probably seems a bit vein and menial about the whole plating thing. a guess im just a bit annoyed because iv spent so much money and the plating is wearing after only 5months of light use! Still "breaking" it in:tongue: !

Thanks again:tup
    much appreciated!

6. Hornblower RN

Hornblower RN Member

Take it back and demand a replacement before it's too late. When I bought my Bach Strad flugel from Norman's 17 years ago the lacquer started peeling after 3 months. They took it back and and had it relacquered. Turned out a better job than the original.
  7. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Take it back.
    The Grime Gutter should NOT have that effect.
    That appears to be a lacquer problem.
  8. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

The laquer on my Strad trumpet all came off under the lead pipe not long after It was bought. I didn;t send it back and now wish I had. I don't think the laquer on them is that good considering how much they cost.
  9. trumpical

trumpical New Member

Hello I'm new here. The exact same thing happened on mine, although it's not quite as bad. I know how you feel. They're expensive horns.