Help! Split lip a week before the areas!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Tubamutha, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Tubamutha

Tubamutha Member

Hi guys

I had a trauma at band last night - I have a cold sore starting inside my bottom lip so cannot treat it with anything, and on my outer bottom lip I have two large cracks (open raw skin beneath but not bleeding yet), which I feel are about to split wide open and a third split starting on the right hand side of my mouth. I had to stop playing at practise as I felt it was about to 'go' in spectacular fashion.....

I have been to Boots and can find nothing but Cymex - will this work if I lay off the playing until Monday? I am at North West areas a week on Sunday.......:frown:

2. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Take the time off, give it time to heal. Best in long term.

3. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Worth remembering that cracked lips is really only superficial damage. The muscles underneath will still operate in much the same way. What you will find, of course, is pain and discomfort when you play. This is something you will have to put up with for the sake of the contest, or the band will have to find another player quickly.

I have done contests, concerts, recordings etc. with a cracked/split lip. It's not nice, but there will be no lasting damage. I simply use Vaseline.

4. Jethro

Jethro Member

When I was in the army, I was always told to dab the sore or split with a little bit of your own urine. I know it sounds disgusting but it seemed to work fine. Something to do with the chemicals in it (its cheaper too!!!)

Jethro:p

5. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

split lip - vaseline
    Cold sore - generic Zovirax (aciclovir)

6. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

I think I'll leave the urine remedy to those of a different lifestyle choice to mine....
    :eek:

7. HowarthBrass

HowarthBrass Member

Yes, definitely take time off, if you can. Try a warm salt water mouth wash for the cold sore, to fight any infection.
    Vaseline is also a good idea for your cracked lips, but not if they spit and bleed.

Good Luck, :tup

Mark H.

8. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

That's just taking the pi$$ ... :)

9. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

I used to use Blisteze (now branded Blistex) in a tube for split lips. It stings a little when you put it on, but it's really effective. I can't vouch for the other remedies though ;-). Using a good quality lip balm (or even just Vaseline) does help prevent this happening I have found. I like Neutrogena lip balm or the Blistex in a tub is really good too.

10. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

Definatly Zovirax or generic version. I try to get it sorted before it gets to the stage your at but Zovirax is the fastest remedy I know.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Boots
    Cymex
  12. PurpleHaze

PurpleHaze Member

I keep getting things like this a week before contests/concerts and it's so frustrating! The one thing you really don't want to do (cut down on playing) is the only thing that helps really, time heals. Maybe try and miss one rehearsal and keep practicing to a minimum (hopefully there won't be any bits of the part you can't play at this point!)
    Other than that give the things other people have suggested a try. Hope it's alright for the weekend! :)

13. Tubamutha

Tubamutha Member

Hi guys

Thank you for your comments. Zovirax is good but as its inside my mouth I am going to try some salt water mouthwash. Blistex sounds like a good idea - I will go and get some of that (I've tried vaseline before).

Whilst widdle sounds an interesting suggestion I think I might give that one a miss.....I am a delicate 'lady' after all! Maybe vodka would be a good alternative!

Thanks

Charly

14. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Please don't take this the wrong way...

Just as another suggestion, which may prevent these in future. As it is coming up to the areas, have you gone from playing once / twice a week to suddenly doing lots more playing three - five times a week (even more) because of the areas? This could also contribute to these kinds of breakouts, the shock to the system! Our chops do get a hammering from time to time if we don't prepare in an appropriate way. If this is the case, maybe next time start doing more playing sooner?? To use a sport analogy, you wouldn't run a marathon without starting with running a mile then working up to 26(and a bit) over time?
    However, flip side, if you have been playing every day (6 days in 7 or whatever) and have had this breakout.. sods law innit! :)
    Good luck!

15. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

Also, you can get Zovirax tablets from your gp, but really you're supposed to start taking them right at the start of the cold sore, as the virus is duplicating and spreading....maybe speak to your gp....you can also take anit-inflammatories (ibuprofen if you're not asthmatic or paracetamol) to help with swelling and pain.

16. welshmike

welshmike Member

Blistex Med Plus is the best thing I have found! It comes in a small round blue tub. Before this I tried Carmex from Superdrug. They both contain Camphor which acts to sooth the pain and cool down the soreness. I would also try not overdoing it when you actually get the gob irom on your face because you can actually alter your embouchure if you press too hard. That will mean weeks of hard work when you finally get rid of the cold sore!

Blistex has really helped me out loads of times so I can only advise to try it!

Good luck

Also the 'little bit of wee' does work but not good if you are planning on having any friends! If you do try this probably best not to tell them!! Lol!

17. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Nail polish remover. Read the following thread on tip king :-

http://www.tipking.co.uk/tip/7215.html

I've never tried it as I never get them. Apparently this is a miracle cure - but hurts like hell. Good luck

18. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

The active ingredient in nail polish is Acetone, a highly volative solvent, which can cause respiratory problems, eye damage, gastric irritation etc etc etc. I would not recommend its use on a cold sore inside the mouth, as it is bound to be ingested.

19. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

I don't think a little drop on the end of a qtip is going to make you keel over from the fumes or send you blind. You aught to go into my 3 teenage daughters bedrooms sometimes and see the amount they use cleaning their nails. I think they could rent the room out to glue sniffers or dry cleaners. :rolleyes:

20. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

If acetone was so efficacious and safe as a cure for cold sores it would be licensed and sold as a remedy. I just happen to believe that a recommendation for the use of a potentially dangerous solvent as a health product should come with a health warning.

21. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

The other side of the coin is that when we get busy in the run up to the areas we let other things slide...... more busy, less sleep, extra rehearsals = eating at funny times means we're more likely to have a drop in our immune system causing breakouts of things like cold sores. You notice that lots of people get hit with stuff right after major events. Taking vitamin c and zinc and keeping hydrated and fed can helpbut rest is paramount.

Hope things recover in time!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Boots
    Cymex