Help - Silver Threads

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Graham from Jolly Holly, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Can anyone help?
    I'm looking to borrow a full set of the Eb solo "Silver Threads Amongst the Gold", composer W A Allison. I believe it was published by SP&S, but is now out of print. If anyone can help me out, I'd be much obliged!

Graham

2. postie

postie Member

Not too sure if we have got at Bestwood but will certainly have a look for you at a rehearsal this week.

3. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

I thought it was in our library till i had a look, the envelope was empty :(

4. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Are you sure it is out of print? Just Music are currently advertising it at £14.95 and I think it was Wright and Round, not SP&S.

Cheers

DaveR

5. There is certainly a very old version which has been around for much longer than SP&S arrangements have been available to brass bands. Think it probably is Wright & Round.

6. pegleg

pegleg Member

Silver Threads

I know that we have photocopies of the band parts for "Silver Threads" SP&S Festival Series ( I believe #43). The late Major Bill Brown played it with our band a couple of years ago. Send me a PM (but hope you're not in a real rush).

7. Thanks all for your replies. If anyone has a set in the UK, I'm still interested!

Thanks,
    Graham

8. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

It just so happens that it was amongst the music I collected in our amnesty over Christmas. Just sorted out and I think we have a full set, will be able to check when I get home. I'm looking at a 3rd cornet part here at the moment and it's "Silver Threads Amongst The Gold" by W. A. Allison. The page is headed by "THE CORNET BRASS (& MILITARY) BAND JOURNAL" published by F. Richardson, Ltd. Certainly is very old going by the bands stamp that's on it.

9. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

There is definitely a Silver Threads among the Gold by Allison available from Wright and Round for £14.95.

https://secure.wrightandround.com/

I suspect the publishing rights have been transferred several times when publishers have been taken over and merged etc. Aren't Wright and Round now the same company as F. Richardson? :confused:

10. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Managed to check this on the computer now and we don't have a full set. We are missing the following:-

Score (probably short score or solo cornet part)
    Flugel
    Solo horn (the soloist part, probably still in the solo horn players case)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    WA Allison
    Silver Threads Amongst the Gold
    Eb
    SP&S
    Graham