help please

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by richardcowens2008, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Hi, I was at band last night and notised air leaking on a water key, after looking at it the nipple thing has disapeard. Any ideas of a solution to filling the hole up tempory as my areas is this sunday night and don't have time to send it for repair? Or anyone got a good Bbb bass I could borrow for a week as last resort? Thanxs.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Bbb
    Thanxs
    notised air
    tempory
    areas
  3. AmandaD

AmandaD Member

Try using a water key cork and some tape, should hold it till monday

Amanda.x.

4. Tryed that last night, the cork doesn't go flush with the tube so it still leaks. Thanxs

5. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Blu Tack

6. Tryed that last night, just doesn't last long enought, it warms up and flattens and are just leaks after a bit. Carnt hold the air preasure. Ta

7. tojo

tojo Member

heat the cork up , with it pressed firmly against the hole this should give a snug fit

8. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Chewing gum

9. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Cling film and then a couple of laps of electrical tape.

10. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I once had the same prob with a sousaphone main slide.
    As a temporary measure I DID use chewing gum and it worked perfectly until I got it repaired - several YEARS later !
    Those who know me know this to be true.

These days for a quick repair I would either use silicon sealant OR look around the bandroom for ANY instrument that isn't in use (spare) and snaffle the cork - I think they are all the same size.
    Stick it in th water key with a blob of "No Nails".

- Mr Wilx

11. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

"No Nails" isn't brilliant around water. My first try would be the silicone.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Bbb
    Thanxs
    notised air
    tempory
    areas
  13. Thanxs for the ideas, ill have a mess befor band tonight, been thinking a bit of rubber clamped down with a jubalie clip. No mess then. Hopefully that's the only leak. Joys of the french Bbb bass.

14. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

If you cnt fix it PM me.

15. It happened on stage to me once so I had to keep my finger in the hole until the concert had finished.

16. barrytone

barrytone Member

I had a similar problem, tape over the hole with water proof tape, can buy it from any hardware shop, will need to take out your slide to empty out the water but will cover you over the weekend. I did three contests with my bari using this same method, did have to retape a couple of times and did take off some of the laquer but works. Sorry, no spare BBb bass to lend you x

17. Kofi

Kofi Member

Sounds almost as heroic as the wee guy who stuck his thumb in a hole and saved Amsterdam (or somehwere in Holland?) from flooding! :tup

18. Jack

Jack Member

whenever ive had this problem ive just put a bit of vaseline on it and it tends to seal the gap... however this was only ever on cornet or sop so not sure how effective it would be but its worth a shot

19. Thanks for all the messages I used some cable sheath with electrical tape and a jubalie clip to get me through last night. Lookaly a guy over sadleworth way has got a spaire part so is able to fix it today, result!! Thanxs again!

20. tuba1974

tuba1974 Member

only one thing to do, time to go and get some yorks/bessons:eek:

21. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Just replace the cork? It's expensive where I live and it costs 15p?