Help please

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by SuperMosh, Aug 20, 2006.

1. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

Hi all

My wife's mum passed away before Christmas and her favourite book was "Lark Rise to Candleford" by Flora Thompson.

My question is very bizarre and possibly not going to be answered here, but on the front cover of this book, there is a very picturesque country scene which my wife and I would like to have as a picture. This obviously to remember Ann's mum by.

The image can be viewed at amazon:

It's a long shot but if anyone knows the artist or the name of the painting, please PM me. I have heard that the National Gallery has this on display but when attacking their on line catalogue, it did feel like looking for a needle in a haystack!

Thank you

2. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I'm no expert (far from it) but I'd investigate Helen Allingham. It looks like one of hers, although I can't actually track it down specifically.

3. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

Have got a lead, it's possibly by William Tenton Bladford Fletcher and is called The Farm Garden. However, these do not return on search engines so I am emailing National Gallery and the Ashmolean Museum at Oxford.

I will also try what you said Dave, much appreciated for your help.

4. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Emailing the NG sounds like a good plan - if they do have this painting then they ought to know what it is!

I only suggested Allingham as she did some of the illustrations in the book, and the picture seemed (to my very inexpert eyes) very similar to her style. There is a Helen Allingham Society - the URL is and there are galleries of her works there. I had a look but couldn't see the one you wanted so I could be talking rubbish. I do that sometimes :( :tongue:
  5. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

Thanks mate, I mean that.

As you can imagine, this is fairly close to mine and Ann's hearts and so any help is greatly appreciated.

6. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

I'm going to do a course in the National Galllery for a week in September so I'll keep my eyes peeled for any pictures that are similar.
    Good luck with your hunt.
  7. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member